Schooling Fish? - Coolest (Peaceful & Easy)

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, what size tank is that and how many fish do you have? You’ve got nice movement.

Also, I couldn’t help but notice one or two aiptasia. Might I be so bold as to suggest a copperband butterfly?
As in the earlier post- The tank is 2m x1mx 1m, 2000ltrs (about 530US galls). I have, anthias-35 Ignitus, 16 Resplendent, 5 Lyretails, 4 Evansi, 2 sunset, I am going to add to them but I need to do it slowly to avoid putting too much strain on the biological filters. None anthias are 9x Fusilier damsels, 2x Majestic angelfish, 2x tasselled filefish, 4x Emperor cardinals.

You noticed, I do have a few Aips;) and I did have a CB but it died of obesity, sorry only joking:p I am on the look out for one but finding a 'good' CB is proving quite a challenge.

Last edited:

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical time it tales for these "shoals" to widdle themselves down is usually 1-3 years from what I've experienced. Don't put much weight on the experience of those in here that have had success for less than a few years.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The typical time it tales for these "shoals" to widdle themselves down is usually 1-3 years from what I've experienced. Don't put much weight on the experience of those in here that have had success for less than a few years.
What species are you referring too?

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What species are you referring too?

In any typically sized manufactured aquarium there are very few fish that won't just loosely shoal and then pick the weakest one off one by one. The only ones that might work are glass cardinals, less aggressive anthias (I wouldn't try these in a 120) or the fusilier damsels, but there are some serious doubt there as well.

I am not aware of an actual schooling fish that's readily available in the hobby.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In any typically sized manufactured aquarium there are very few fish that won't just loosely shoal and then pick the weakest one off one by one. The only ones that might work are glass cardinals, less aggressive anthias (I wouldn't try these in a 120) or the fusilier damsels, but there are some serious doubt there as well.

I am not aware of an actual schooling fish that's readily available in the hobby.
I've personally had success with most dartfish, randalls and dispar anthias, monos, flagtail grunts, aureus cardinals, in addition to fusilier damsels and threadfin cardinals beyond the 1-3yr stipulation.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've personally had success with most dartfish, randalls and dispar anthias, monos, flagtail grunts, aureus cardinals, in addition to fusilier damsels and threadfin cardinals beyond the 1-3yr stipulation.

You're the exception to what I've seen and heard time and time again. Can you show us some of your shoals? Also, I can't think of many aquariums that are suitable for a shoal of grunts... Lastly, none of these fish are schooling fish.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're the exception to what I've seen and heard time and time again. Can you show us some of your shoals?
The aureus, randalls and dispars were in a 150, the monos and flagtails were in a 350 and 850, the dartfish were in a 54, 75, 80, 120, 150, and 850, the fusiliers in an 80, 120, 150, 180, 850, threadfins in 120, 150, 580.

I've also had C. atripectoralis in an 80 as well.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Haydn

In your video your fusilier damsels look really blue. Are they?

Some of mine are grayish, some are greenish but none look blue.

I know they are variable, but have you had the colors shift over time or does it stay as it is when they arrive?

Thanks

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Haydn

In your video your fusilier damsels look really blue. Are they?

Some of mine are grayish, some are greenish but none look blue.

I know they are variable, but have you had the colors shift over time or does it stay as it is when they arrive?

Thanks
Yes they are a purple/blue. when I collected them from the LFS they looked grey and washed out, it took them 2-3 weeks to really colour up. I understand their colours vary a lot depending on the collection area.

Belgian Anthias

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C6JaZ0n.jpg

To develop natural schooling behaviour, male on top, the aquarium must be high enough and deep enough. There must be enough space between de reef and the front window. I do not think the setup is suitable for Anthias to show there natural schooling behaviour. One may introduce a school " live catch on demand" . One must be able to provide live food!? To quarantine a school of Anthias to be introduced in an home aquarium is not a simple task! It are very sensitive fish! Introducing them one by one is asking for troubles because of female-male transitions and disputes.
The system will be a high input, high output system and must be able to support the bio-load, now and in the future. An aquarium grows! Be prepared to use a bio-filter for easy management of the system.
But a ( big) reefaquarium with a big school of Anthias showing natural behaviour is really beautiful .
I do not recommend to try to keep a school ( min 7) Anthias in a to small aquarium. They will be very unhappy !

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are at least 3 species of fish regularly offered for sale as blue/green Chromis, only one species (Chromis viridis) can be relied on to tolerate others of the same species. you need to be sure which species you are buying. Get the wrong species or a mixture and you will get WW3 in your system. So it isn't about luck- its about research.

Thanks for specifying that the chromis viridis is the safer schooling option of the 3 commonly sold as blue-green chromis. Can I ask the names of the other 2 species that are less ideal for schooling?

Just so I understand these guys are the aquamarine colored ones (blue/green) and not the blue ones? I love the blue ones but perhaps they just dont school together w/o killing eachother.

jefra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vid of my Anthias group and Fusilier damsels. the Damsels are easy, the anthias are more challenging.

I love this, the Fusiliers have a more elongated body than most damsels and blend with the anthias so well.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stunning shoaling fish, peaceful, easy to keep and feed. I just don't understand why they aren't a standard IMO much better aquarium fish than Green Chromis

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 7 now and I love them. Price and availability I suspect is why they aren't more popular. And perhaps the word damsel in their name...

U

User1

View Badges
I have 7 now and I love them. Price and availability I suspect is why they aren't more popular. And perhaps the word damsel in their name...

Sadly, that is why. People see damsel and don't even give the fish a second thought. Similar to the Six Line Wrasse. Different I know but using it as an example.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We well if u want get mono they have silver gold an striped an the school great

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back