Schooling Fish? - Coolest (Peaceful & Easy)

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems there is a difference in shoaling and schooling, and none of those I can find in the hobby are for-real schooling. I think I have found exactly what I want -- the "Glass Minnow". They look to be the perfect size and make a real school. Anyone know a place you can buy a mess of these?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have found exactly what I want -- the "Glass Minnow". They look to be the perfect size and make a real school. Anyone know a place you can buy a mess of these?

You want anchovies for your tank? Bait shop on the east coast, I suppose.

Fallling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had scissortail dartfish that schooled well - they also slept under rocks together in a cuddle puddle that was adorable. Additionally, they also were out and about a lot occupying the upper water column space (unlike blue gudgeons who are VERY shy and always hiding). I imagine zebra dartfish are very similar to scissortails in behavior (I personally thought the ombre blue on scissortails was gorgeous).

I currently have chalk bass and am really digging them with the bright blue stripes. They don't necessarily "school" but they do hang in a group together quite often. They're also small enough and peaceful enough to get a decent size group of 5+. They're a good fish for swimming in the bottom 1/3 of the water column.

Chris Shelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the same "Schooling fish" as I'd like to have some for our 150G. I am leaning toward the Anthis. Not sure which one as of yet. For what it's worth I've found several theories that even if they school at first they will eventually seperate as the reason they school in nature is large groups are more protected from predators and since there are no predators in the captive reef they feel less threatened and no need to school.

U

User1

View Badges
A vid of my Anthias group and Fusilier damsels. the Damsels are easy, the anthias are more challenging.

Your tank looks really nice the way you have the fish stocked and the natural look of it. Well done. What size is it if you don't mind me asking?

suta4242

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems there is a difference in shoaling and schooling, and none of those I can find in the hobby are for-real schooling. I think I have found exactly what I want -- the "Glass Minnow". They look to be the perfect size and make a real school. Anyone know a place you can buy a mess of these?

I think you might like Parapriacanthus ransonetti aka golden sweepers. They should really school not shoal, and you would need a huge system (and maybe a big predator) to possibly see them ball.

Reckon they would look remarkable en masse in the right setting....but there must be a reason I’ve never seen them for sale, or even in people’s tanks?

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might like Parapriacanthus ransonetti aka golden sweepers. They should really school not shoal, and you would need a huge system (and maybe a big predator) to possibly see them ball.

Reckon they would look remarkable en masse in the right setting....but there must be a reason I’ve never seen them for sale, or even in people’s tanks?
I have seen these fish once in a LFS- they slowly faded one after another. Although they look like they were feeding, most of the food was mouthed and then spat out.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They are notoriously difficult in aquaria.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The tank is 12ft long, my dream would be to have 12 or so of a very small tightly schooling fish that would traverse it. I don't really mind if it is a plain or ugly fish individually, it's the look of the school as a whole that I'm after.

If it so happens "Anchovies" are the best fit for that, I don't have any shame in welcoming them to my tank -- if you look at the video above they totally belong on a coral reef! I live in North Carolina, so maybe I'll take a day trip to a coastal bait store this summer :)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is 12ft long, my dream would be to have 12 or so of a very small tightly schooling fish that would traverse it. I don't really mind if it is a plain or ugly fish individually, it's the look of the school as a whole that I'm after.

If it so happens "Anchovies" are the best fit for that, I don't have any shame in welcoming them to my tank -- if you look at the video above they totally belong on a coral reef! I live in North Carolina, so maybe I'll take a day trip to a coastal bait store this summer :)
Monos school pretty well, so do flagtai grunts. Especially in a 12 foot tank.

Wolf89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I live on the ocean in NC and I could easily get you some finger mullet. They school and swim lots.

Kevin Duprey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been researching the same "Schooling fish" as I'd like to have some for our 150G. I am leaning toward the Anthis. Not sure which one as of yet. For what it's worth I've found several theories that even if they school at first they will eventually seperate as the reason they school in nature is large groups are more protected from predators and since there are no predators in the captive reef they feel less threatened and no need to school.
I have a trio of Carberryi Anthias in my tank. I love the coloration, and they are not nearly as aggressive as others like Lyretails. I've had them for about 5 months, and they never stop shoaling in my tank, but that might be because I am an admitted overstocker. There are plenty of threats for them in my tank. You can see them in reasonable proximity in this picture below. My single remaining blue-green chromis usually hangs with them as well.
_DSC9902_output.jpg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that the Kuhlia sp? The aquarium at Henry Doorly keeps them in a couple tanks. They are quite a site.
Yup. They remind me of a tetra, when they come in small, but get pretty big, so a 12' tank would be great for them.

blitzkragz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live on the ocean in NC and I could easily get you some finger mullet. They school and swim lots.
Hehe I appreciate the offer, but finger mullets get big! I would catch them with a cast net on vacations to Ocean Isle. Even a 12" tank would be way too small. A schooling fish that gets no longer than 2-3" would be ideal.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A vid of my Anthias group and Fusilier damsels. the Damsels are easy, the anthias are more challenging.

Just curious, what size tank is that and how many fish do you have? You’ve got nice movement.

Also, I couldn’t help but notice one or two aiptasia. Might I be so bold as to suggest a copperband butterfly?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 53 33.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back