Schooling Fish? - Coolest (Peaceful & Easy)

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tapeinosoma Lepidozygus, fusilier damsels, aka purple chromis is the closest thing to a schooling reef safe fish I have found.

SJAREEF

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not positive about either of my two suggestions as far a large school but I’ve heard you can keep yellow assessors in groups and think a group of them swimming upside down would be a sight. Also tilefish can be kept in groups. I own both of these fish and absolutely love the personalities of each and would love to have more. Both very peaceful fish

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a trio of Smith's fang blennies (meiacanthus smithi) to my 48 x 24 x 18 about a week ago. So far their time is split pretty evenly between exploring the tank for pods on their own, a pair hanging out together with the third doing his own thing, and all 3 chillin' together.

If you want fish that are both active throughout the water column (versus simple hovering together) and spend time together a trio might be worth considering.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not positive about either of my two suggestions as far a large school but I’ve heard you can keep yellow assessors in groups and think a group of them swimming upside down would be a sight. Also tilefish can be kept in groups. I own both of these fish and absolutely love the personalities of each and would love to have more. Both very peaceful fish

I have multiple assessors and though they are social and get along very well, I would not say they school at all.

I've tried fang blenny trios twice, neither worked out.

Take a look at those fusilier damsels, I think they are awwso.e!

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have multiple assessors and though they are social and get along very well, I would not say they school at all.

I've tried fang blenny trios twice, neither worked out.

Take a look at those fusilier damsels, I think they are awwso.e!

what'd you end up with on the blennies? pair?

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One pair of lined and then a single blackline.

eggplantparrot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Allen's damsels, I've got 10 coming hopefully tomorrow, not sure how tight they will be together, however one will become the dominant female, the rest follow on like chinese dolls smaller and smaller, don't get too big either.

*Russian dolls* :p

stefanm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just received my posse of 10 and wow, so much colour and movement, my orchid dottyback isn't impressed, I'm sure he'll figure it out in a couple of days.

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, all fish, or at least most, will chase and nip. I’ve had great luck with Blue/Green Chromis, (5), since start up 4 1/2 yrs. Anthias are a good schooling fish as well. Though I only have a single variety of Tangs, these fish are always swimming, can be easily kept, and eat a variety of foods, including dry. Naso, Yellow, Black, Purple, Kole, Blonde Naso, Tomato, Sailfin. Whichever fish you choose, go slow, but add a few at a time to ensure better mortality. Any and all fish should have a purpose in your tank. Be sure to ask or do your research on fish habits, foods, and tank maturity. Stay away from expensive fish until your tank has matured enough to handle their special needs. Your #1 priority should be a good to great fish store or vendor.................Priceless !

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, all fish, or at least most, will chase and nip. I’ve had great luck with Blue/Green Chromis, (5), since start up 4 1/2 yrs. Anthias are a good schooling fish as well. Though I only have a single variety of Tangs, these fish are always swimming, can be easily kept, and eat a variety of foods, including dry. Naso, Yellow, Black, Purple, Kole, Blonde Naso, Tomato, Sailfin. Whichever fish you choose, go slow, but add a few at a time to ensure better mortality. Any and all fish should have a purpose in your tank. Be sure to ask or do your research on fish habits, foods, and tank maturity. Stay away from expensive fish until your tank has matured enough to handle their special needs. Your #1 priority should be a good to great fish store or vendor.................Priceless !
I am sorry but as it is likely that newbies are going to read this answer I feel I need to comment.

'I’ve had great luck with Blue/Green Chromis, (5), since start up 4 1/2 yrs' There are at least 3 species of fish regularly offered for sale as blue/green Chromis, only one species (Chromis viridis) can be relied on to tolerate others of the same species. you need to be sure which species you are buying. Get the wrong species or a mixture and you will get WW3 in your system. So it isn't about luck- its about research.

'Anthias are a good schooling fish as well' there are numerous species of Anthias available to the hobbyist, to say they are good schooling fish is wrong- some species may school, some will not. Male anthias use aggression to maintain their position in the group and prevent females challenging them. Sometimes that aggression may cause injury or even death to subdominant fish, for example Bartletts can be very aggressive within the group. Again it's about research.

' Naso, Yellow, Black, Purple, Kole, Blonde Naso, Tomato, Sailfin' Since this is thread about schooling the only ones, I feel, if you have a large enough system, that will tolerate each other are yellow (although I have seen these attack and kill the subdominant members), black (if you can afford them) and purple. The others either get far too large to keep a school or won't tolerate co-specifics (sorry I have no idea what a tomato tang is)

'go slow, but add a few at a time to ensure better mortality' Again because this is about schooling, adding new fish to an already established group can cause major issues and needs very careful research.

'Any and all fish should have a purpose in your tank' I buy the majority of my fish to enhance the beauty of the tank, perhaps you can explain the 'purpose' of your Chromis and the job they do in your tank.

'Stay away from expensive fish until your tank has matured enough to handle their special needs' I may have misunderstood your comment here and I am sorry if I have, but are you saying it's OK to buy cheap fish because they are expendable and you can make your mistakes with them because they don't matter.

'Your #1 priority should be a good to great fish store or vendor' No! your number 1 priority is to gain knowledge through research, use good sources of information- read this forum, don't believe social media, look at multiple sources and form your own opinion. Yes use your supplier as one source but remember their job is to sell stuff.

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is an out of the box fish. I have two scribbled rabbit fish that had no interaction to each other prior to being introduced into my tank. I do not believe they are a mated pair, however they do school together. Great fish and relatively peaceful.
You lucked out and found 2 that sounds like they have paired up. Rabbitfish aren't schoolers but form strong prs.
Creole wrasses to my knowledge are an exception to the wrasse theory. They are a schooling wrasse and are very cool looking both as juveniles and as adults.
But near impossible to keep in captivity...

Of the chromis, I've found C. atripectoralis to be more social than C. viridis.

Some cardinals, such threadfin, pj, aureus, are social, others like bangaiis are not.

Zebra and scissortail dartfish are a great shoaling fish.

In a 120g I would not try to get any tangs schooling.

Snitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry but as it is likely that newbies are going to read this answer I feel I need to comment.

'I’ve had great luck with Blue/Green Chromis, (5), since start up 4 1/2 yrs' There are at least 3 species of fish regularly offered for sale as blue/green Chromis, only one species (Chromis viridis) can be relied on to tolerate others of the same species. you need to be sure which species you are buying. Get the wrong species or a mixture and you will get WW3 in your system. So it isn't about luck- its about research.

'Anthias are a good schooling fish as well' there are numerous species of Anthias available to the hobbyist, to say they are good schooling fish is wrong- some species may school, some will not. Male anthias use aggression to maintain their position in the group and prevent females challenging them. Sometimes that aggression may cause injury or even death to subdominant fish, for example Bartletts can be very aggressive within the group. Again it's about research.

' Naso, Yellow, Black, Purple, Kole, Blonde Naso, Tomato, Sailfin' Since this is thread about schooling the only ones, I feel, if you have a large enough system, that will tolerate each other are yellow (although I have seen these attack and kill the subdominant members), black (if you can afford them) and purple. The others either get far too large to keep a school or won't tolerate co-specifics (sorry I have no idea what a tomato tang is)

'go slow, but add a few at a time to ensure better mortality' Again because this is about schooling, adding new fish to an already established group can cause major issues and needs very careful research.

'Any and all fish should have a purpose in your tank' I buy the majority of my fish to enhance the beauty of the tank, perhaps you can explain the 'purpose' of your Chromis and the job they do in your tank.

'Stay away from expensive fish until your tank has matured enough to handle their special needs' I may have misunderstood your comment here and I am sorry if I have, but are you saying it's OK to buy cheap fish because they are expendable and you can make your mistakes with them because they don't matter.

'Your #1 priority should be a good to great fish store or vendor' No! your number 1 priority is to gain knowledge through research, use good sources of information- read this forum, don't believe social media, look at multiple sources and form your own opinion. Yes use your supplier as one source but remember their job is to sell stuff.

This is a great post - nicely done.

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an email from Live Aquaria and Divers Den.. sale today and Divers Den has several trios of fish available like anthias that are already matched up!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an email from Live Aquaria and Divers Den.. sale today and Divers Den has several trios of fish available like anthias that are already matched up!
I haven’t really ever heard of anyone talking about basslets.. my husband brought home three chalk basslets one day from the LFS when he went for salt!!! Lol I wouldn’t say they school but they definitely hang out together. Not the most beautiful fish but they are interesting and kind of have their own personalities. They are peaceful in my 93 cube reef. I also have some kind of damsel that is huge bigger than my tomini tang was <1” when we got it and it’s kind of aggressive! Wouldn’t get another that’s for sure! Hope you find what your looking for.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You lucked out and found 2 that sounds like they have paired up. Rabbitfish aren't schoolers but form strong prs.

But near impossible to keep in captivity...

I am not sure if they are paired, don't show any of the classical signs I have seen with other fish. My baby blonde naso also swims with them most of the day. They have become a nice trio. I do feed an unholy amount of food throughout the day. That is one thing that keeps everyone docile.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back