Schooling Fish for 230 Gallon, Suggestions?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Chromis, cardinals, and firefish; all food for the greyface. They would also likely not hold their own with a mature niger trigger.
Yikes- totally missed the eel

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
As in my case, a school of: yellow tangs
Also: pyramid butterflies

4AAD0316-F182-4AF2-B83E-ABC70C3926BF.jpeg

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see why you couldn’t have a trio of yellows, scopas, white tail, tomini, purples, etc. I only said purples because it sounded like you really liked em :). NY aquatic has had sales on purples for $99 which would make them a LOT more affordable
4CD0470D-D3F8-4F2B-B7E1-C1F2D72A3B4E.jpeg

I'll have to see if they ship to Canada, depends on what shipping would cost, might end up being close to shopping local, unless our dollar really picks up when it is time to start stocking. :D

So far, of all suggestions I am really leaning towards the purples. They'd add an amazing splash of colour and movement. For the centerpiece of a big aquarium like that, I think it would be worth it in the long term. Honestly, the way yellow tang prices are going, they might soon be on par with purples anyways.

When I discovered my fondness for predators like lions and Triggers and eels (oh my!) I knew it would make reefing more difficult and exclude many species, but not to this extent. Worth it, 100%.

mcbdz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found all my fish are very active and constantly inter act with each other in my 240gal. My tangs at the moment are hippo, yellow, yellow eye kole and sailfin. But even more active is my wrasse. They are none stop hunting. Have chromis and they stay together better when I had more aggressive fish. The less fish and longer they have been together they go their separate ways.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, when looking into keeping multiple purples in a tank, even 230 gallons, I've been told by several local(ish) reefers that they'll just and I quote, "murder eachother". Due to their aggressive behaviour.

Anyone here actually successfully kept multiple purple tangs together?

Also, good to me news in this regard. A friend is taking down his tank in a month or two and I can get my hands on at least one beautiful purple for relatively cheap.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, when looking into keeping multiple purples in a tank, even 230 gallons, I've been told by several local(ish) reefers that they'll just and I quote, "murder eachother". Due to their aggressive behaviour.

Anyone here actually successfully kept multiple purple tangs together?

Also, good to me news in this regard. A friend is taking down his tank in a month or two and I can get my hands on at least one beautiful purple for relatively cheap.

Start a new thread "purple tang trio" to see if you get some first hand info, I can't speak to purples first hand, but if that is the case, they would be the only one in the zebrasoma family that acts that way. I have seen groups of purples kept in large tanks at the lfs with no issues, many times. Mind you this a temporary situation but there was no aggression. Be mindful of the info you get: how long have they been in the tank, how big is the tank, how was the introduction made, size comparison, etc. Details matter. A trio of purples in a 40B will end badly; you laugh, I saw trios of yellows being sold for 40B all day long, when yellows were a dime for a dozen.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back