teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FTS January 2023:

52615433831_e44900fbf7_5k.jpg

Hi all! So I’ve had this tank up for a little over two years so it’s time to finally make a build thread… The goal of this tank was to be as quiet as possible which meant going sumpless. I also wanted to keep the look as clean as I could given the rimless style tank and how I’ve liked to keep past tanks. Another goal was to keep SPS (maybe not the hardest acros) while maintaining that sumpless and skimmerless setup and also keeping it overall low maintenance. In some of my previous setups the maintenance could really start to feel like a chore and detract from the hobby. On this setup, I generally change the floss in the surface skimmer once a week, do a water change every 2-4 weeks, feed the fish daily, and keep the top off water filled. Pretty straightforward and easy to leave for a week with an automatic feeder!

It has been quite a road but the tank has really started to hit its stride. I know most of the SPS are the hardier ones which aren’t as exciting but I’m happy I’ve made the setup work. I only have a pair of ORA clowns and clean up crew. Here’s the equipment I’m currently running:

Ecotech MP10wQD
ARCHAEA MINI AQUARIUM HEATER (50W) ULTRA SLIM
Green Killing Machine UV sterilizer
Surface skimmer with floss and carbon
XP aqua top off
GHL Mini Wifi (temp and pH probes)
BRS doser with Tropic Marin All for Reef
Ecotech Battery Backup
Ecotech XR15 G5 Blue

How it started:
50066866287_aab900b6d8_4k.jpg

Where we are today:
52615867170_179bc51e08_5k.jpg

If you have any specific questions, or want to know any other details of the journey I’ve had the last few years, feel free to drop a question. Let me know what you think!

Last edited:
OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you list the corals you have in it?
Sure! I think this covers it all and apologies in advance that I’m not better with the exact names.

SPS - Green Spongodes
Tubbs Stellata
Jack-O-Lantern Lepto
Red Dragon
ORA Hawkins Echinata
Green Slimer Acro
Kung Pao Monti
WWC Cherry Tree Monti
Orange, green, & green w/red polyps plating montipora
Orange Montopora Digitata
Pink Pocillopora
Mr Pacman Acro
Softies - 14x types of zoas/palys. I know some of the names but not a lot of them.
4x different toadstool leathers
GSP
LPS - Green/Purple Torch
JF Day-Glo Favia

OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things are growing out nicely! Not really too many updates which is a good thing at this point. Had the macro out to take pictures of some frags I listed today so also took a top down of the pocillopora colony which is getting huge (respectively for my tank...).

52747134407_ff30f4c74a_o.jpg

OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally some new pictures! I recently did a local move which is always terrifying but luckily with the simplicity of the setup it went really well. I took the opportunity to re-scape the right hand side of the tank and am really happy with it. Almost everything is growing great at this point. Zoas are definitely slow but I think that's because I've optimized the tank for SPS. Let me know what you think!
FTS Sep '23

FTS Sep '23

OP
OP
teamschreiba

teamschreiba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for filtration or is it just the tank itself?
I have a UV sterilizer and and surface skimmer that has filter floss and carbon in it. Otherwise yes just the rocks.
How much did you spend on corals?
I can’t say I know the exact total but nearly all of them were bought as frags from local reefers so I’d guess around $10 to $40 a frag.

dawi03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a UV sterilizer and and surface skimmer that has filter floss and carbon in it. Otherwise yes just the rocks.

I can’t say I know the exact total but nearly all of them were bought as frags from local reefers so I’d guess around $10 to $40 a frag.
Ah wow and that does the whole tank? How good!!!

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finally some new pictures! I recently did a local move which is always terrifying but luckily with the simplicity of the setup it went really well. I took the opportunity to re-scape the right hand side of the tank and am really happy with it. Almost everything is growing great at this point. Zoas are definitely slow but I think that's because I've optimized the tank for SPS. Let me know what you think!
FTS Sep '23'23

FTS Sep '23'23
Incredible update!

Back