Scoly Help!

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a fragged Warpaint scoly from a reefer that was shutting down his system bc he is moving out of the state. The day before I purchased the scoly he sent a video of it looking healthy and opened up. When I arrived to purchase the scoly it was closed up and he said it was due to his snails knocking it around, I still decided to purchase it since it only cost me $30. Over the pasted two days the scoly continues to be closed up during the day but has it tentacles are out all night long. One of the reasons I think it has continued to stay closed up bc my hermits and snails have been picking at the base of the scoly bc it had a bunch of algae on it even after I tried removing it w/ a toothbrush gently. Tonight I used reef roids to feed it to see if it will help. Does anyone have any experiment w/ a ticked off scoly or any tips? Thanks in advance, Ill try to post some pictures of it tomorrow.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has your tank been running? What are the water parameters? What par is this scoly under? Perhaps a pic of your setup too.

OP
OP
JGK17

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good questions, I forgot to add those details.

I added a 40B to my main DT about 4 months ago but my DT has been running for over 1.5 years now.(Both tanks share the same sump.) I have another scoly in the same tank that I have had for months and is doing great. My stand bed is receiving ~100 par. My water parameters are around Alk. 8.0dkh, Cal. 500ppm, and Mag. 1570ppm (I know thats a bit high but thats what my salt mixes to.) I dont have any recent pics of my tank but this pic is from a few months. ago. Im running 3x Kessil a360we on the tank I have the scoly in. The 40b is setup for sps and the right tank is setup for lps. By setup I mean the light intensity and flow.

1672809166791.png

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium and mag a bit high but I don't think this is an issue as your other acoly is doing fine. Probably same for PO4 and NO3 but maybe you can list those. Your par is good for the scoly. It may be just a piece under stress from the fragging and move. Other than that I don't see any glaring issues. We also don't know what was going on during the shutdown of the other tank. Were there any swings?

OP
OP
JGK17

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past 2-3 weeks my PO4 has been between 0.02-0.1 and NO3 has been 10-15. You make a good point about the tank shut down, I forgot he took his kalk stirrer off and he has been manually dosing since he sold it. Here’s a pic of the scoly, it’s to the left of my goni.

Attachments

• 019BACB5-D965-4CC2-A7A2-FC841ACC8427.jpeg
    019BACB5-D965-4CC2-A7A2-FC841ACC8427.jpeg
    210.2 KB · Views: 139

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeleton showing? I have scolys and gonis with room between them. Do you dose phyto? When it’s open at night try Coral Frenzy small pellets.I also have a fragged warpaint, it’s now round.
What is your PH?

RGoltz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the scolymia away from the goniopora, make sure it is not getting too much light, then leave it alone. Sometimes scolymia look ticked. But, they are pretty easy and generally bounce back if left alone. That is my experience, at least.

OP
OP
JGK17

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skeleton showing? I have scolys and gonis with room between them. Do you dose phyto? When it’s open at night try Coral Frenzy small pellets.I also have a fragged warpaint, it’s now round.
What is your PH?
I do not dose Phyto but I did feed it reef roids and some small pellets last night. Here are my parameters. Also, I moved it away from the goni.

Attachments

• 99E492B9-E867-45B3-9662-0DD160C0782F.png
    99E492B9-E867-45B3-9662-0DD160C0782F.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 129
OP
OP
JGK17

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would move the scolymia away from the goniopora, make sure it is not getting too much light, then leave it alone. Sometimes scolymia look ticked. But, they are pretty easy and generally bounce back if left alone. That is my experience, at least.
It isn’t getting too much light I know I’m only getting ~100 pat on my sand bed. Also, I have another scoly that I’ve had for a year doing great only a couple inches away.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not dose Phyto but I did feed it reef roids and some small pellets last night. Here are my parameters. Also, I moved it away from the goni.
Your PH is really good. Good that you moved it. I have 12 scolys in a 34g with gonis and I’ve noticed a difference dosing a small amount of phyto from AGB. My alk is lower runs 6.8, I dose to 7. Just my observation. I target feed Coral Frenzy small pellets, tank is fed frozen LRF nano and phyto.

OP
OP
JGK17

JGK17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your PH is really good. Good that you moved it. I have 12 scolys in a 34g with gonis and I’ve noticed a difference dosing a small amount of phyto from AGB. My alk is lower runs 6.8, I dose to 7. Just my observation. I target feed Coral Frenzy small pellets, tank is fed frozen LRF nano and phyto.
My PH swings about 0.10 throughout the day. Im able to achieve such high ph due to dosing Kalk and running a CO2 scrubber on my skimmer. How often do you feed your goni's and scolys?

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Ph runs 8.1-8.38, I’m running a CO2 scrubber on a Royal Exclusive skimmer. Gonis get whatever is in water column which is frozen and phyto. Scolys, blastos, acan get Coral Frenzy small pellets twice a week plus whatever is floating in water. I dump tisbe pods in every now and then, my fish are 2 mandarins.

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The past 2-3 weeks my PO4 has been between 0.02-0.1 and NO3 has been 10-15. You make a good point about the tank shut down, I forgot he took his kalk stirrer off and he has been manually dosing since he sold it. Here’s a pic of the scoly, it’s to the left of my goni.
I had a scoly and a lobo that both not doing good so I moved them to about 50par and very little flow and they puffed up and bounce back after couple days

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a scoly and a lobo that both not doing good so I moved them to about 50par and very little flow and they puffed up and bounce back after couple days
Did you keep them in 50 par or moved them to higher?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you keep them in 50 par or moved them to higher?
The lobo was left in 50 par and still alive and doing well the scoly was back in 120-140 and is gone from tank crash not light or flow related i believe

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I must confess to being a coral killer.

for me I dose KZ products and swear by them. The amino acid one in particular helps corals regrow their flesh.

BRS has a video review.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must confess to being a coral killer.

for me I dose KZ products and swear by them. The amino acid one in particular helps corals regrow their flesh.

BRS has a video review.
Which KZ products and what type of corals are in your tank?

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a softy / LPs mixed reef with one sps that’s as a freebie lol.

I dose:
Flatworm stop
pohls xtra
Amino acid
Sponge power
Coral booster
LPs amino concentrate
Coral vitalizer

I swear by these guys!! I recommend anyone trying it out if they can. First time I did it years ago I noticed an immediate improvement in all my inhabitants.

also all the cool sponges! I just noticed I have some yellow ones popping up.

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a softy / LPs mixed reef with one sps that’s as a freebie lol.

I dose:
Flatworm stop
pohls xtra
Amino acid
Sponge power
Coral booster
LPs amino concentrate
Coral vitalizer

I swear by these guys!! I recommend anyone trying it out if they can. First time I did it years ago I noticed an immediate improvement in all my inhabitants.

also all the cool sponges! I just noticed I have some yellow ones popping up.
I used some of those at one point. What is your export method and do you notice algae when using these products?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back