Scoly with a diamond watchman goby?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kevgib67
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

kevgib67

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 16, 2022
Messages
42,284
Reaction score
261,480
Location
Canfield, Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really want a couple of scolys for my sandbed but I read they don’t do well with getting sand on them. My diamond watchman goby enjoys rescaping the sand bed. Anyone successfully kept scolys with sand sifting gobys?
 
Sand sifters are notorious for "relocating" sand everywhere you don't want it. So there's no guarantee even if you found a great spot that your goby wouldn't take great pleasure in "dusting" it on occasion. I have a bunch of wrasses and some other fish that burrow/dig, and blowing sand off my corals is just one of those things you have to get used to.
 
Sand sifters are notorious for "relocating" sand everywhere you don't want it. So there's no guarantee even if you found a great spot that your goby wouldn't take great pleasure in "dusting" it on occasion. I have a bunch of wrasses and some other fish that burrow/dig, and blowing sand off my corals is just one of those things you have to get used to.
Doable?
 
definitely not doable unless you enjoy blowing sand off your scolies multiple times a day. You can try elevating the scolies with a piece of pvc or just glue them on the rockwork. Scolies don't realy like being on the sand bed anyway.

even if you have all your scolies lifted off, your diamond goby might just not like one your scolies and throw sand at it. The two weeks I had diamond gobies, one of them held a grudge against my bleeding apple. Never getting sand sifters again, I like corals more than fish.
 
I have 2 SS Gobies in my big tank and they force me to place all coral on the main rock structure or I take a smaller piece of rubble rock and place coral that would normally go on the sand bed and put them on the small rocks.

Having the corals on the smaller rock pieces allows me to move them easily if needed and pull them out if I need to dip them if needed also.
 

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 35.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 17.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new