Scopas tang and foxface aggression

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a foxface to my 5ft tank yesterday and its getting bullied by my scopas tang, which is usually pretty chilled.

It's sort of following the foxface around and backing up into it aggressively. Gor the most part the foxface didn't seem too bothered and would flare up its spines and swim off.

But today I've noticed it hiding in the rock work until the tang finds it and chases it off again. Looks like it has a small mark on the middle of its body which I'm guessing is from the tang (not the black spot)

Will this eventually quieten down and could just be down to being new?

Also have not seen it really eat yet apart from a few picks at the nori sheet. There's plenty of gha for it to graze on but can't see it getting the chance to.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Foxface is typically a mellow fish but it’s ability to defend itself .
mg yellow used to pick at the venomous spikes …..
he’s been slapped leaving scalpel marks on the foxface many times .
It should eventually subside .
you can try adding a mirror . The aggressive fish will fight with itself for days giving the foxface time to settle in

OP
OP
Kial

Kial

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Foxface is typically a mellow fish but it’s ability to defend itself .
mg yellow used to pick at the venomous spikes …..
he’s been slapped leaving scalpel marks on the foxface many times .
It should eventually subside .
you can try adding a mirror . The aggressive fish will fight with itself for days giving the foxface time
Think I'll try the mirror idea today. Feel bad for the foxface!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added a foxface to my 5ft tank yesterday and its getting bullied by my scopas tang, which is usually pretty chilled.

It's sort of following the foxface around and backing up into it aggressively. Gor the most part the foxface didn't seem too bothered and would flare up its spines and swim off.

But today I've noticed it hiding in the rock work until the tang finds it and chases it off again. Looks like it has a small mark on the middle of its body which I'm guessing is from the tang (not the black spot)

Will this eventually quieten down and could just be down to being new?

Also have not seen it really eat yet apart from a few picks at the nori sheet. There's plenty of gha for it to graze on but can't see it getting the chance to.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
With it at this point, it probably won’t die down unless one of the two are either dead or removed. Scopas tangs are just among the most aggressive tangs (Up there with the Sohal and Clowns).

Salty716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zebrasoma family is pretty aggressive. If possible rescape, if not possible try to time out the Scopas, if still not possible either add a mirror, separate nori clips near where the fox face hides, if you have any way to wall off the tank in anyway that would work too.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With it at this point, it probably won’t die down unless one of the two are either dead or removed. Scopas tangs are just among the most aggressive tangs (Up there with the Sohal and Clowns).
I always thought they were not as bad . Yellows , sailfin , purples , powder blue and powder brown to be the absolute worse

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always thought they were not as bad . Yellows , sailfin , purples , powder blue and powder brown to be the absolute worse
As someone who has cared for all of these and owned a few tangs… Scopas’ are MUCH worse than the other three Zebrasoma mentioned. Purples are a very close second though. Powder Tangs are always a nightmare if you get a bad one but I would say a scopas is just a bit worse.

Salty716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually it will subside after some flaring from the typically timid foxface. I've had to rehome a scopas after going bezerko towards other zebrasoma tangs.
My Foxface grew up with a blue lip tang in QT from the size of a quarter to 2.5 inches in a few months. They push aside my 5 inch purple when he decides he wants to be mean.
8A38CBEE-CEFF-46D9-940A-F8891051BFDD.jpeg

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who has cared for all of these and owned a few tangs… Scopas’ are MUCH worse than the other three Zebrasoma mentioned. Purples are a very close second though. Powder Tangs are always a nightmare if you get a bad one but I would say a scopas is just a bit worse.
I’ve had many tangs over the years. .
Generally always more than just one at a time .
for example currently have a yellow and a sailfin , as well as yellow belly blue tang , and orange shoulder .
I can honestly say I’ve never had a scopas or mimic

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Foxface grew up with a blue lip tang in QT from the size of a quarter to 2.5 inches in a few months. They push aside my 5 inch purple when he decides he wants to be mean.
8A38CBEE-CEFF-46D9-940A-F8891051BFDD.jpeg
I have my Foxface with a 6” foxface, the fox rules the tank but the tang is very low down in the hierarchy.

Salty716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for example currently have a yellow and a sailfin , as well as yellow belly blue tang , and orange shoulder .
Usually I find have 1 of each family and it'll be OK, unless it’s powder blues or browns, with a big enough tank they do well in shoals. A yellow and sailfin might fight in the long run.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two yellows are a$$holes to each other, the purple and sailfin just keep swimming, lol.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My two yellows are a$$holes to each other, the purple and sailfin just keep swimming, lol.
For the most part the tangs don’t Show any aggression towards each other .

the clownfish are the most aggressive in the tank , until I added the new angelfish .
im starting to see who the smallest a hole is
Sailfin .
I do believe in time the juv emperor will earn tank boss even over the blue ring

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the most part the tangs don’t Show any aggression towards each other .

the clownfish are the most aggressive in the tank , until I added the new angelfish .
im starting to see who the smallest a hole is
Sailfin .
I do believe in time the juv emperor will earn tank boss even over the blue ring
The emperor will rule over ALL in time. I had a French Angel back in my fowlr days and it was a beast to everything, even the triggers I had wouldn't bother with it. I had a mean, rather large female maroon that would occasionally try to go toe to toe with the angel and would loose. The angel would get close to the brooding spot and all hell would break loose and the female maroon would outright bite the angel and the angel would slap/nip the maroon a bit and it was over as quick as it started!

I get the occasional tail slapping from the yellow tangs, usually when I'm adding nori or at lights out (cave fighting). They are fed well, so I'm thinking its the usual pecking order ish.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it comes to a yellow and sailfin
Does size have a lot to do with it .
Thinking of my system , the yellow is probably 2x compared to the sailfin .

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back