Scratches or Disease/Parasite? (Firefish Goby)

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, while feeding my firefish today, I've noticed small light patches and a slightly cloudy eye (only one of the eyes are cloudy). The cloudiness is so slight that the phone can't capture it. When I looked at the fish from the top, it appears that the edge of the eye is peeling a bit? The firefish ate as usual by catching the food very energetically. There are plenty of rock crevices for it to dart into which it does frequently. Is this something that I should worry about? I would appreciate any help! Thank you.
p1.jpg
This can only be seen from a very specific angle and lighting.
p2.jpg
This is the exact same side of the body and the exact same time I took the picture at, just different angles.
p3.jpg
Top view. Only 2 small white patches are visible through this angle.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is a tricky one as it could be bacterial or from scrapes. They do hide well and in rock crevices which offer potential for scratches. The challenge is…. If scratches or bacterial from scratches. Assuming it’s eating and swimming normal otherwise- keep an eye on it. Is there something you can use as a preventative to bacteria …….. water changes to assure good water quality and ruby rally pro

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tricky one as it could be bacterial or from scrapes. They do hide well and in rock crevices which offer potential for scratches. The challenge is…. If scratches or bacterial from scratches. Assuming it’s eating and swimming normal otherwise- keep an eye on it. Is there something you can use as a preventative to bacteria …….. water changes to assure good water quality and ruby rally pro
Thanks, it could be flukes so I will do a freshwater dip just in case

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: Just did a freshwater dip. They turned out to be flukes or something similar.

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these or something very similar on my firefish when I first got it in jan/feb. My best guess was some Neobenedenia flatworm. Did two doses of Prazipro following the directions on the bottle and I haven't seen them again. Make sure to run some airstones during the Prazi treatment if you go that route.

If it is Neo, they're egg layers and the eggs are resistant to treatments so maybe wait for the next generation to start appearing before treating. If they're peeling off the fish, they've probably already laid eggs.

Research from my adventure:

Effects of temperature on the life cycle of Neobenedenia sp. (Monogenea: Capsalidae) from Seriola rivoliana (Almaco jack) in Bahía de La Paz, BCS Mexico

(you can get the pdf for free if you google that title)

Reproductive Strategies of the Insidious Fish Ectoparasite, Neobenedenia sp. (Capsalidae: Monogenea)

Hope this helps, good luck!

OP
OP
Tnops

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had these or something very similar on my firefish when I first got it in jan/feb. My best guess was some Neobenedenia flatworm. Did two doses of Prazipro following the directions on the bottle and I haven't seen them again. Make sure to run some airstones during the Prazi treatment if you go that route.

If it is Neo, they're egg layers and the eggs are resistant to treatments so maybe wait for the next generation to start appearing before treating. If they're peeling off the fish, they've probably already laid eggs.

Research from my adventure:

Effects of temperature on the life cycle of Neobenedenia sp. (Monogenea: Capsalidae) from Seriola rivoliana (Almaco jack) in Bahía de La Paz, BCS Mexico

(you can get the pdf for free if you google that title)

Reproductive Strategies of the Insidious Fish Ectoparasite, Neobenedenia sp. (Capsalidae: Monogenea)

Hope this helps, good luck!
Thanks! I’ll keep on dosing prazipro for a week or two while following the directions to make sure that the eggs hatch and that the offsprings will be wiped out too. I’ve already did a freshwater dip on my fire fish and it has confirmed that those are indeed flukes/flatworms

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back