Screen/Mesh lid

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made myself a mesh lid using a window screen kit and clear aquarium mesh.

I didn't realize until recently that this is what people typically do for a lid, I had glass but even after switching to LED it was just holdong too much heat.

My question is, if this is primarily to stop jumping fish, how on earth does it stop them? It's soo lite, I can't imagine it stopping anything.

I have a rimmed and eurobraced tank, I made 2 seperate lods 1 for each side. What can I do to secure it? Is the weight of the frame itself honestly enough?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was woried about the larger ones because I figured they would produce the force to knock the lid off. If the tiny ones are the fear I should be set. Thank you.
They'll usually bounce - unless we're talking about a featherweight lid and a massive fish.

temphermitcrab

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We used a window screen as a temporary measure to keep a Bella Goby from jumping but believe it was too light weight. We're pretty sure he hit the screen with such force that he made a gap to get out. It happened while we were asleep but we could guess what happened from the water on the side of the glass and where he lay. We're going to buy a polycarbonate lid before replacing him.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 99 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.9%
Back