Screwed up...I think? Didn't rinse my old live rock

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I transferred old live rock to my new tank to cycle it, I thought it was going to be a simple process, but I think I had something in the live rock die-off causing an ammonia spike, I was dosing ammonia for a few days then I read "0" on my ammonia for about 2 days then all of a sudden my ammonia jumped to a dark green on the API testing kit. I did a 10% water change (and the old water looked a little yellow) and its been about a day and my Ammonia is 0.50, Nitrites 0.50 and my Nitrates are about 10-20, I work the next 6 days straight and wont be messing with the tank other than testing...my question is, do I remove the old live rock and rinse it or should I just let the tank do its business? I thought this would have been a smooth transition since I used live rock from my other tank. There are small particles almost like shavings in the sump area (which maybe is the cause of the ammonia) should I try to shop vac it, I cant siphon it because the sump is on the ground underneath the DT.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't mention whether or not you have anything living in your new tank, if it's an empty tank, just let your bacteria do the work and break down residual biotics. If you have life in the tank, pull the old live rock and cure it in 35ppt with a powerhead to blow off detritus as it breaks free, then treat as cured live rock, add and aquascape!

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't mention whether or not you have anything living in your new tank, if it's an empty tank, just let your bacteria do the work and break down residual biotics. If you have life in the tank, pull the old live rock and cure it in 35ppt with a powerhead to blow off detritus as it breaks free, then treat as cured live rock, add and aquascape!
Nope, no live stock in the new tank. Just an empty tank with live sand and an aquascape

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you're good, cure it in tank, let the bacteria do work. The shaving-like particles you see are most likely dead organics, whether crustose organisms or dried vegetation. They will eventually dissolve either way, but if they're unsightly, a 'turkey baster' is your go-to tool, that or long stainless or plastic forceps.

You have a good start, you're doing it right, and you're asking the right questions, Carry on!

OP
OP
Shawn4455

Shawn4455

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then you're good, cure it in tank, let the bacteria do work. The shaving-like particles you see are most likely dead organics, whether crustose organisms or dried vegetation. They will eventually dissolve either way, but if they're unsightly, a 'turkey baster' is your go-to tool, that or long stainless or plastic forceps.

You have a good start, you're doing it right, and you're asking the right questions, Carry on!
Thanks friend! I get kinda annoying on here asking all the questions. I just hope I can get this tank cycled to at least add the fish from my old tank so I can break it down and sell it!

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks friend! I get kinda annoying on here asking all the questions. I just hope I can get this tank cycled to at least add the fish from my old tank so I can break it down and sell it!

Never be afraid to ask questions, it's literally what all of us are here for, to share information and encouragement, and maximize the success of everyone in the hobby!

Cheers to ya!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 60 74.1%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back