Screwgunners 125

Well, nitrates are way up I did have two crabs die maybe a big snail I don't know. I pulled to dead crabs out lord knows what else. I was cruising at 10 nitrates and .09 phosphates everything growing good. Then boom a nitrate bomb . 75 nitrate reading I cleaned everything skimmer, pumps, sump, changed filters checked again. Nitrates at 50 good you kn ow but 3 days latter still at 50. Never had them that high. Must be a dead snail. I will look when I get home . Started vodka dosing I am at 2 ml a day now . Phosphates are at .06 mag is high 1500 calcium 450 on top of that I started bio pellets. I really don't like nitrates that high. 20 no problem but 50 . I am probably doing to many thing and it takes time for all this to kick it. But my scubber has kept them down so far . I am stumped water is clear as glass ,fish are all accounted for.
 
Nitrates still at 50 phosphates bottomed out 0.00 I have been dosing neophos and I am up to .05 started 2 cups of bio pellets and up to 2.5 ml vodka. Protien skimmer is starting to put out some crazy looking gunk. I am hoping my nitrates start going down soon. Fish and coral look good so I am not going to sweat it for now.
 
20220828_194106.jpg
20220828_194114.jpg
 
Glad to see your reef is looking awesome. How are nitrates and phosphates doing? I managed to crash nitrates briefly so dinos came back briefly. They're gone now but cyano took over where dinos were. A day later and green algae are overtaking the cyano bit by bit. I got some potassium nitrate today. I mixed 1/4 cup of tank water with 1/4 cup of potassium nitrate and dosed it about an hour ago. I hope to see a drop in phosphate and a higher rate of growth in my chaeto. Hopefully my tank will be as good as yours soon.
 
My nitrates are up. So, I put my reactor with bio pellets to work. They are down to 25 now my phosphates are close to being bottomed out. But I dose neophos to keep them up alittle.
 
Last edited:
I am slowly dosing nitrates so I'm not dropping phosphates too fast. My phosphates are at 1ppm. My goal is to dose enough nitrates to bring phosphates down .1ppm daily until I am at .05ppm. it's going to take a decent amount of nitrates. My chaeto will eat it up though.
 
I am slowly dosing nitrates so I'm not dropping phosphates too fast. My phosphates are at 1ppm. My goal is to dose enough nitrates to bring phosphates down .1ppm daily until I am at .05ppm. it's going to take a decent amount of nitrates. My chaeto will eat it up though.
I am slowly dosing nitrates so I'm not dropping phosphates too fast. My phosphates are at 1ppm. My goal is to dose enough nitrates to bring phosphates down .1ppm daily until I am at .05ppm. it's going to take a decent amount of nitrates. My chaeto will eat it up though.
I started to get some cyano but found out my tds hit 36 so I changed out my di and charcoal filters and it went away pretty fast.
 
Well, I think most of my crabs have died for some reason. I think that is my nitrate spike . Bio pellets have been going for a couple months now and my nitrates are now at 30 . Once I hit 10 I think I will take bio pellets off. To see what happens. But my corals are open so big and growing good . Any suggestions?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 4.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 19 21.6%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 26 29.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 10.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 8.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new