Sea Creatures I Have 86'ed

Big Mistake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not counting when I was under 18 at the beach ...

Emerald crabs and various snails. Recently I have not been able to kill the snails. Don't know what changed.

I personally don't believe Emerald Crabs and various snails eat algae. The snails seem to eat bacterial/algae films by scraping surfaces.

Xenia. Death by hydrogen peroxide. Cleaned some small rocks out of the tank with hydrogen peroxide. Rinsed in saltwater and put back.

Xenia and the Red Planaria Flatworms both had a sudden death event. Xenia did not make it. Red Planaria Flatworms survived.

Don't know the exact causation; dying flatworms released a toxin that killed the Xenia? Xenia are known to be sensitive to peroxide?

Why the Red Planaria Flatworm population is now in check is a mystery.

$25 beautiful Hammer. Came back from the LFS, happy, and then slowly stopped opening, and detached from it base.

Too much light, too little light? Duncan with the same light/flow/water is happy as a clam. (If it was a clam).

Give it more light, less light, shade it, more flow, less flow, never ate.

$50 Nice Green BTA.

Same as the Hammer, ran around at first, picked a spot, and is slowly bleaching and not opening and not moving.

Does eat. But not like the Duncan eats.

Green BTA came from Liveaquaria, they must have kept it fat and happy for a while before sending it to me.

I should email them and ask their conditions.

I had it on a small rock, thought maybe the rock was shaking in the flow causing the BTA to close, or it could not escape.

Moved it to the main rock for stability and ease of moving around to a new home ... just sits where I placed it.

Maybe it is just depressed. Maybe dose the tank with Lithium or Prozac? It acts depressed if you ask me.

Something in the water? Or something missing? I have a Seneye so I have a sense of PAR and PUR.

Or Green BTA needs a very different conditions from Red BTA?

Red BTA reflects red, and Green BTA reflect green light ... I moved it into "SPS" lighting range.

Something about having more fish or sand and anaerobic bacteria?

I have not been able to kill the two spot bimaculate blenny that came with the Green BTA.

I wonder what the Blenny eats when I don't feed it.

I do have some mildew in my ATO hose ... replace that I guess.

Should replace the Xenia ...

-Big Mistake

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh man - I don't even want to try and start listing out everything I've murder/death/killed in my 30yrs of keeping tanks.

Dangerous game.....

Definitely some huge heartbreaks in there...and definitely some animals that I should 100% not gotten.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back