Sea gel?

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone recommended that I get sea gel as a filter medium to help control ammonia and nitrates/nitrite. He says its made by seachem but I can't find a product by that name? I can ask him tomorrow but was wondering if someone here might have an idea as well as to what he might be referring to?

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SeaGel seems to be primarily for phosphate and silicate remover. Very different than ammonia, nitrite and nitrate removal. What are you trying to improve in your water exactly?

OP
OP
H2Orchard

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ammonia and nitrates spike. Killed a fish and a shrimp :( So looking for things that can help. Have a canister filter. It's better now but he said its what he uses and it works really well. On the website that the other person posted it says it can reduce those things.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an ammonia and nitrates spike. Killed a fish and a shrimp :( So looking for things that can help. Have a canister filter. It's better now but he said its what he uses and it works really well. On the website that the other person posted it says it can reduce those things.
I would go with prime instead. Pretty much the standard for ammonia removal. Also, a bottled bacteria like MicroBacter 7 would help to populate a colony of nitrifying bacteria to help cycle your tank.

OP
OP
H2Orchard

H2Orchard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with prime instead. Pretty much the standard for ammonia removal. Also, a bottled bacteria like MicroBacter 7 would help to populate a colony of nitrifying bacteria to help cycle your tank.
Yeah I got some prime and used that already. Thanks for the input! I'll hold off on the sea gel.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, Prime does not remove ammonia, it merely binds it and renders it non-toxic to your critters.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to be clear, Prime does not remove ammonia, it merely binds it and renders it non-toxic to your critters.
Yes true. And also, it’s just a quick fix really. The root problem must be solved.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only for 24hrs. It really is a product to buy time. Unless you are conditioning tap water.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back