Sea Hare care level.

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I have been researching the care and requirements for sea hares. I understand they need a steady diet of algae and if they don't have it, lettuce can be used. I also know that if they are startled they may release a toxin into the water. The reason for this post is that I keep seeing them listed as Expert level. Why is that? Is it due to the toxin or does it have to do with their water quality requirements?

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with three, at different times, is that they have short lifespans in an aquarium-- as in the one-year max range. They were algae-eating powerhouses, though, and so as you mentioned, maybe mine ran out of their preferred source of food. All three times I noticed them dead right away and "removed the bodies" (Medical Examiner talk-- LOL!), and so I can't speak about a release of dangerous toxins. Let's see what other who are more knowledgeable than me have to say. Best wishes. ;)

Centurio

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in different tanks multiples times, and they have never been anything other than perfect tank inhabitants. It's a very, very rare occurrence for them to release a toxin, and I have never actually known anyone that had it happen. The longest I have had them in the tank though is probably 18 months.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone.

I have been researching the care and requirements for sea hares. I understand they need a steady diet of algae and if they don't have it, lettuce can be used. I also know that if they are startled they may release a toxin into the water. The reason for this post is that I keep seeing them listed as Expert level. Why is that? Is it due to the toxin or does it have to do with their water quality requirements?
Not toxin but ink. It won't nuke the tank. They are pretty easy to care for if you have enough algea. They don't live long.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them in different tanks multiples times, and they have never been anything other than perfect tank inhabitants. It's a very, very rare occurrence for them to release a toxin, and I have never actually known anyone that had it happen. The longest I have had them in the tank though is probably 18 months.
Mine inked in my tank. Nothing happened to my tank water turned a tint of purple. Haved a couple die in my tank nothing happened.

OP
OP
Knight_Solaire01

Knight_Solaire01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not toxin but ink. It won't nuke the tank. They are pretty easy to care for if you have enough algea. They don't live long.
That would explain why my last one died with perfect water and plenty of algae for it to eat. Also I wasn't actually sure about the ink. So I may have to look at alternatives as this is a seahorse tank.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 they don't live too long. After about 6 months Shrek disappeared. I never found/removed it and nothing bad happened. So I question the whole toxin theory.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are reef safe and somewhat delicate. They poop thru opening on theyr back. If distressed or dying, their opening starts to split open
Ink is a defense than toxin and I have yet to see one do it even when distressed. the dolabella which is California species eats well. Rarely do they survive on lettuce or seaweed sheets. best is to put them to work and start seeking a home for someone who can use them with an algae issue. The Dolabella Sea Hare can clean an entire 125 gallon reef tank of all hair algae in about two weeks as they are quite the efficient janitors and they also derive from Phillipines where the eggs of the Sea Hare are eaten as a delicacy. This delicacy is called in the Philippines Lukot or Lokot.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are reef safe and somewhat delicate. They poop thru opening on theyr back. If distressed or dying, their opening starts to split open
Ink is a defense than toxin and I have yet to see one do it even when distressed. the dolabella which is California species eats well. Rarely do they survive on lettuce or seaweed sheets. best is to put them to work and start seeking a home for someone who can use them with an algae issue. The Dolabella Sea Hare can clean an entire 125 gallon reef tank of all hair algae in about two weeks as they are quite the efficient janitors and they also derive from Phillipines where the eggs of the Sea Hare are eaten as a delicacy. This delicacy is called in the Philippines Lukot or Lokot.
That sounds... Delicious! Excuse me, I have to chat with my filipino wife

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one in a 36G Bow (~20g sump) many years ago and more HA (and macro) that I care to admit. I guess he ate HA, but never enough to help my tank. My wife always asked if I had a fish tank or a green algae tank.

I eventually gave up on that tank and started a new tank when skimming, chaeo, DYI Algae scrubber, vodka dozing, etc did not help. I would clean it and like magic it was back.

Shrek (of course) died probably within 6 months since the new tank was a 15/20G with a 20g mantis tank plumbed in. No ink or impact to the tank.

It was a pretty curious creature though and squishy! It also pooped A LOT and they were massive... but he was also like 7-8" long.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine inked in the tank turned the water a purple color no issues. The skim was a dark purple. Its not a toxin and it won't nuke the tank. A couple of years ago I had one lay eggs about every couple of days. For about a month. Than it died

I think the reason they don't live long is because we receive them later in thier life cycle.

Sarcazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine inked in the tank turned the water a purple color no issues. The skim was a dark purple. Its not a toxin and it won't nuke the tank. A couple of years ago I had one lay eggs about every couple of days. For about a month. Than it died

I think the reason they don't live long is because we receive them later in thier life cycle.

Wow that is pretty interesting! Did the eggs hatch?

I mentioned the size since I was kind of surprised at the size that shipped to me - I don't remember the online store back in 2010/2011... Just recently, I think I saw that someone got a hare as a hitchhiker from some LR and it was tiny. But, given the difference in size your assessment is probably correct.

Paleozoic_reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've this one for about a year...He rotates between the display and refugium, when either needs a good trimming.

image.jpg

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I mentioned the size since I was kind of surprised at the size that shipped to me - I don't remember the online store back in 2010/2011... Just recently, I think I saw that someone got a hare as a hitchhiker from some LR and it was tiny. But, given the difference in size your assessment is probably correct.
They are a hermaphrodites and unable to fertilize own eggs.

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sfins-dream.536890/page-5#post-5570851. Post 95 has pics of the eggs

bigkamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep these? I know a cook that had some show up with a fish shipment... seen them at the beach too never thought to check if they are for sale anywhere but they took amazing just curious if anyone keeps them...
EF6D1002-5F78-4532-9EC4-3A9F80A9293D.png

sfin52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone keep these? I know a cook that had some show up with a fish shipment... seen them at the beach too never thought to check if they are for sale anywhere but they took amazing just curious if anyone keeps them...
EF6D1002-5F78-4532-9EC4-3A9F80A9293D.png
They have a very specific diet. Unless you can keep a Portuguese man of war than they are best left in the ocean

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back