Sea-Lab #28 blocks - anybody know about these things?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Joined
Nov 18, 2012
Messages
40,649
Reaction score
67,833
Location
Fontana, California
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thought I'd bring these up since I had never really heard of them until recently. They've been around a while from what I can tell, but I haven't heard of many people using them (so maybe that's a cause for concern :eek::confused:). Have any of you used them? What has been your experience?

Here's a couple of pics of the product.

sealab1.jpg


sealab2.jpg
 
Boy, that takes me down memory lane. I used them back in the 90's in a 150 gallon mixed reef. I was impressed with the product at that time. Will post some image of the tank and you can be the judge.
 
They have reduced the stupidity of the claims over the years, but there is no possible way it can

" maintain natural ocean concentrations of calcium, strontium, and all 15 essential trace elements"

It is just a slow dissolving clump of stuff that adds these things whether your tank needs them or not.

If you carefully figure out how much is needed (in what tank flow location) in your tank for calcium, you can get that accomplished, but the trace elements are obviously just hit or miss.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 31.7%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 14 13.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new