sea spider

  • Thread starter Thread starter stylaster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

stylaster

Reefer since '90
View Badges
Joined
Jun 3, 2008
Messages
1,951
Reaction score
669
Location
Kelso, WA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this guys in my frag system this morning


spider2.jpg




spider.jpg
 
Cool!
I was told by some divers down in Key Largo that when they are running quality tests on the local reefs and they see living sea spiders in sampes they know that things are good. They said sea spiders require extra pristine conditions to thrive.

They are really interesting but I think they can be nuisance to corals.
 
We had a zoa eating spider a few years ago. Was a crazy looking little guy. Wife saw it on a zoa colony that had been losing polps quickly. Coral rx dip did the trick.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
I just did some rock rearranging yesterday along with some hair algae removal that became a problem but is taken care of now, and as I was taking a rock out I saw one of those fall out and at first I thought it was just some type of brittle star, but after seeing your picture it was exactly the same, so whats the consensus are they good or bad?
 
LOL! Just found one of these guys the other day as well. Luckily not in any of my tanks. I did a freshwater dip and it looked like it was still hanging on so I did a iodine dip in saltwater and it was still hanging on. But then I started to think and basted it with a turkey baster and off he went floating dead. So I'm not sure if it was the freshwater or iodine dip that was able to kill it but at least I know that one of the two does the trick!
 
Just found the same in my sump. Not a zoa spider thank goodness but I killed it anyways.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1437028049.289283.jpg
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 22.5%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 3 7.5%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new