Sea sponge

Steel Curtain

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Jun 19, 2026
Messages
13
Reaction score
4
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anyway to avoid having to transfer the water that comes with your sea sponge into your tank?
 
Is there anyway to avoid having to transfer the water that comes with your sea sponge into your tank?
Dilution with your reef's water, this should remove up to 90 % of the water with which the sponge came with (or even more if you continue doing it for a while)
 
That's about the only way.

Where did you get the sponge? Some places are more risky than others.

Bear in mind that large sponges are very challenging.
 
That's about the only way.

Where did you get the sponge? Some places are more risky than others.

Bear in mind that large sponges are very challenging.
I haven’t bought any yet, but considering to do so. I want to add color to my tank with something inexpensive.
 
I haven’t bought any yet, but considering to do so. I want to add color to my tank with something inexpensive.

OK, that;'s a fine plan, but beware there are reasons one does not see lots of sponges in tank pics that folks post.

One place to start is a yellow ball sponge from here (link below) no need to worry about the water, IMO, since it is ocean collected, not an LFS tank. I have a couple. The red tree sponges look great, but are even harder.

https://gulfcoasteco.myshopify.com/collections/sponges
 
I haven’t bought any yet, but considering to do so. I want to add color to my tank with something inexpensive.

OK, that;'s a fine plan, but beware there are reasons one does not see lots of sponges in tank pics that folks post.

One place to start is a yellow ball sponge from here (link below) no need to worry about the water, IMO, since it is ocean collected, not an LFS tank. I have a couple. The red tree sponges look great, but are even harder.

https://gulfcoasteco.myshopify.com/collections/sponges
Thank you!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new