Sea star for 40 breeder?

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was wondering if a sea star would be a good fit for my 40 breeder. I am trying to gather more information about them. Are they easy to maintain? Would they be a good fit for me since I am a beginner? Thanks!

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sea stars are a bit on the harder side and do better in mature tanks, once you start to get into moderate corals is when I would say a tank becomes ideal for the more docile stars
Thank you!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love starfish and have one in my 40b, yes need mature tanks as They are usually hard to feed. I got lucky and mine has learned how to receive pellets lol it does this once a day or so

Attachments

• 441435CD-9AAC-4B97-A86B-B55609327701.jpeg
    441435CD-9AAC-4B97-A86B-B55609327701.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 55

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I was wondering if a sea star would be a good fit for my 40 breeder. I am trying to gather more information about them. Are they easy to maintain? Would they be a good fit for me since I am a beginner? Thanks!
Starfish can be easy and hard at the same time. I had a Tile Starfish and loved it, BUT, one day it simply melted away.:(

I later realized that I was wrong in my thinking. I thought it would simply live off of what was in my tank...I was wrong. For some reefers tanks it can work that way, and for others, it doesn't. They are beautiful in their simplistic ways of going about, but, you may need to intervein sometimes. When I say that, I mean focus feed them to make sure they have enough food to survive and grow. Most starfish are not fast enough to react and will be outcompeted for food by most fish and snails.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love starfish and have one in my 40b, yes need mature tanks as They are usually hard to feed. I got lucky and mine has learned how to receive pellets lol it does this once a day or so
Thank you!

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cleaned up a few posts. Always be sure to research livestock that you would add to your reef. Starfish are cool, but some (like chocolate chip stars) will eat coral and are not a good fit to add to a reef tank.

My suggestion would be to research some of the specific species you'd like to add. Some that will get along with coral and can be cared for in your tank. As has been noted already, starfish usually have specific needs that may be difficult to meet in a lot of our tanks.

Regarding the removed post, anyone intentionally leading another hobbyist to do something that will kill their livestock is in violation of our terms of service for ethical treatment of reef inhabitants.

OP
OP
Reef.Blue

Reef.Blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cleaned up a few posts. Always be sure to research livestock that you would add to your reef. Starfish are cool, but some (like chocolate chip stars) will eat coral and are not a good fit to add to a reef tank.

My suggestion would be to research some of the specific species you'd like to add. Some that will get along with coral and can be cared for in your tank. As has been noted already, starfish usually have specific needs that may be difficult to meet in a lot of our tanks.

Regarding the removed post, anyone intentionally leading another hobbyist to do something that will kill their livestock is in violation of our terms of service for ethical treatment of reef inhabitants.
Thank you!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 37 31.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back