Sea star giving birth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brendan561
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Brendan561

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 3, 2018
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
What state or country do you live in
Florida
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i boght this sea star a couple days ago. I dont know if it is giving birth or dying? Cant find anything on it.

681B06CF-4FDE-495B-8BC8-09F5BB16AB20.png


A200754B-E065-490C-8E05-2154AA177983.jpeg


50E31B01-DCFE-445D-99F5-C4527528666B.png
 
Those little egg things are all over the tank and some batched together
 
Kinda looks like feeding response to me.

Starfish digest by expelling their gut onto its food.

9c3af0db3fd3d94f6137641fbbf1c3bc.jpg
 
Kinda looks like feeding response to me.

Starfish digest by expelling their gut onto its food.

9c3af0db3fd3d94f6137641fbbf1c3bc.jpg
I dont think he ate he has just been chilling up there but i am missing a peppermint but i think my coral banded shrimp got him
 
It could be, i have never seen sea star eggs.
 
Hi Brendan, and welcome to Reef2Reef!

Sadly, I suspect that it's more likely the star isn't doing well. IIRC, sea stars release gametes into the water column - but they often seem to sort of ... fall apart ... in aquaria.

Fromia are often one of the better stars to attempt, and I hope I'm wrong . . . but I don' think this attempt is going to be successful.

~Bruce
 
+1 on starfish starting to fall apart especially from appearance on the legs. These are not the easiest stars to sustain and your sycess with them will at minimum depend on age of tank, water parameters and available food sources
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 11 44.0%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.0%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new