Sea star question

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I added 1 sea star to my 120 gallon reef aquarium. He did not move for a few hours but looks in perfect condition. I went out for a couple of hours and when I came back I noticed he was now climbing up one of the rocks which I thought was a great sign. When I looked more closely it looks like something took a small bite out of the end of one of his legs. There's a dwarf angel and a couple of tangs. I'm guessing it was the angel. I don't know much about the sea stars, are they commonly picked on by angel fish? Do you small ones like this heal, or they're likely to be a lot more?

image.jpg

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are pretty bulletproof when it comes to injury. Cut off a leg and you have two! :) itll heal :)
Yeah, thanks. my daughter and her husband are both Marine biologists, and I asked them and they pretty much said it'll heal, but I feel bad if he's going to get picked on and it's going to keep happening I'll have to figure out what to do. I don't want to relegate him to the sump because he so cool looking.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the appearance and circumstances, that is most likely not injury from attack. Fromia stars and especially tile fromia sea stars are incredibly sensitive to changes in water condition. When they come into a new tank, it's not uncommon for one or more legs to partially or completely disintegrate, starting at the tip; sometimes the entire animal can just disintegrate this way. I've had several go this way despite acclimating for hours. However, if the disintegration stops on its own, the animal can go on to do quite well and even regenerate the lost tissue, assuming an adequate food supply which may or may not be a good assumption.

OP
OP
andyg1960

andyg1960

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given the appearance and circumstances, that is most likely not injury from attack. Fromia stars and especially tile fromia sea stars are incredibly sensitive to changes in water condition. When they come into a new tank, it's not uncommon for one or more legs to partially or completely disintegrate, starting at the tip; sometimes the entire animal can just disintegrate this way. I've had several go this way despite acclimating for hours. However, if the disintegration stops on its own, the animal can go on to do quite well and even regenerate the lost tissue, assuming an adequate food supply which may or may not be a good assumption.
Thanks for your info and expertise. I assumed it was an injury but i guess i was wrong. Hopefully, he will do well and not succumb to further illness

Jeff Hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starfish are pretty bulletproof when it comes to injury. Cut off a leg and you have two! :) itll heal :)
I have found the exact opposite to be true. Many starfish are extremely sensitive and some are nearly impossible to keep. This particular species (Fromia or Tile starfish) are somewhere in the middle. Not impossible but need a super stable water parameters and a long acclimation. The injured arm of the starfish is likely caused by stress and not an attack by another tank mate. I would watch it closely, unfortunately I have known a few people who have had this exact samething happen and the starfish just slowly dissinegrates.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found the exact opposite to be true. Many starfish are extremely sensitive and some are nearly impossible to keep. This particular species (Fromia or Tile starfish) are somewhere in the middle. Not impossible but need a super stable water parameters and a long acclimation. The injured arm of the starfish is likely caused by stress and not an attack by another tank mate. I would watch it closely, unfortunately I have known a few people who have had this exact samething happen and the starfish just slowly dissinegrates.
I meant as far as injuries. No argument that they're super sensitive to water quality and parameters.

Kamden Uelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Simple injury but without a food source, it will not be able to heal... Try feeding a variety of seafood I have found my Phataria Star likes Squid and Krill

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back