Sea weed

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got on a sea weed discussion yesterday and got me thinking. For those of you who do feed dry sea weed. How long do you leave it in ur tank before pulling it out and replacing with new? I've always done 24 hours, I rubberband it to a rock. 24 hours later I take whatever isn't eaten and replace it. But now I'm wondering why? Why can't I just leave it another 24 hours? Or until its gone?

OP
OP
BadFish619

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I use too much, I just feel like its seaweed from the ocean. So why can't it stay longer? Ploy to get you to go through it faster lol

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha Yeah, I'm always suspicious of that. I use about 1/5 to 1/4 a sheet of LRS seaweed per feeding. Sometimes I'll give it twice a day. They are all in a 40b QT tank so I feel bad.

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
01ABD7DD-13F5-48B2-8BE0-F62C26F54548.jpeg
Caught in the act

Schnizzle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to answer your question, usually it would break up and end up in the filtration and cause unnecessary waste to breakdown. When I had new additions that were slow eaters, I ended up with a good bit in the HOB filter. Now when a piece breaks off they attack it before it gets away. In my opinion, if it isn't breaking down it would be fine. I used sea lettuce from my fuge when it was growing fast.

OP
OP
BadFish619

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess to answer your question, usually it would break up and end up in the filtration and cause unnecessary waste to breakdown. When I had new additions that were slow eaters, I ended up with a good bit in the HOB filter. Now when a piece breaks off they attack it before it gets away. In my opinion, if it isn't breaking down it would be fine. I used sea lettuce from my fuge when it was growing fast.
Ya I guess that would be the reason. I think I'll leave it a bit longer shouldn't hurt the tank... I put it in for the crabs but they don't seem very interested

Eve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got on a sea weed discussion yesterday and got me thinking. For those of you who do feed dry sea weed. How long do you leave it in ur tank before pulling it out and replacing with new? I've always done 24 hours, I rubberband it to a rock. 24 hours later I take whatever isn't eaten and replace it. But now I'm wondering why? Why can't I just leave it another 24 hours? Or until its gone?

I got some seaweed for my snails and it didn’t last more than 8 hours haha

OP
OP
BadFish619

BadFish619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some seaweed for my snails and it didn’t last more than 8 hours haha
See, that's what I was hoping because I'm a little low on algae. Maybe they'll get used to it, I've tried it here and there but not for an extended period of time

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 25 14.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 39 22.3%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back