Seachem calcium and reef builder saturation?

carloriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Randy im a big fan of your work and what better than ask my question .I use two part dosing in a pump ton maintain my akl and calcium i use seachem advantage calcium and reef builder , i use 7.5 grams in 4 cups of RO water but im seeing a leftover powder in the bottom of my container, does it means im over saturate the solution ? Do i have ton add less powder or it is impurities that it didnt desolves in the water? Thanks in advance.

OP
OP
C

carloriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes i put them in separate containers, and both of them have residual solids.Alk And calcium.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Solids in the Reef Advantage Calcium is probably just an impurity and I wouldn't worry about it.

Reef Builder is a strange product, claiming to contain both carbonate/bicarbonate (the norm) as well as some calcium, magnesium, and strontium. They don't say how much of these are present, but they generally won't stay in solution in a buffer. Other than trying to be different than the competition, there's no utility in adding them into this product.

They do say the Reef Builder should be dissolved in a large amount of fresh water (3 g/250 mL), perhaps to minimize this precipitation. Personally, I'd just use baking soda or washing soda and eliminate that concern.

IMO, if you are going to the trouble to dose two solutions like this, it makes more sense to use a DIY or commercial two part system, rather than independent solutions as you are. There are advantages to a two part, such as maintaining ionic balance of chemicals such as chloride and sulfate and magneisum.

OP
OP
C

carloriv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy i will see your two part recipe , or maybe convert to the triton method.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 36.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back