What is the All For Reef liquid equivalent to max saturation kalk (Limewater)

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Currently dosing max saturation limewater through my auto top off, having trouble keeping up with demand, want to switch to All For Reef in my top off instead (I know that dosing through a pump is better, but Tropic Marin says it can be done through a top off and that’s what I want to try)

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Diluting AFR in an ATO is a potential issue as bacteria will grow in it, converting the formate to bicarbonate and potentially precipitating calcium carbonate.
There any more potent alternative to Kalk that can be used in ATO? Or adding vinegar and more kalk my only ATO option?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There any more potent alternative to Kalk that can be used in ATO? Or adding vinegar and more kalk my only ATO option?

One can put the alk portion of a two part in it, and then once or twice a week add the calcium part.

AKReefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using SafeStep 7300. SDS says 94% pure CaCl. Sam's Excel 94-97% pure is no longer where I live.

I have to wonder how many sources there are.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One can put the alk portion of a two part in it, and then once or twice a week add the calcium part.
Can I dilute cleaning vinegar? 30% diluted to 5% is something like 605mL of vinegar in 1 gallon distilled water?

Or if I wanted to make 45mL at 5% I would use 37mL of RO and 8mL of 30% vinegar?

Ok so I did all that unnecessary math and came to the conclusion that I just add 7.5mL at 30% instead of 45mL at 5%

. . . math

Last edited:
OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would only use food grade vinegar in a reef aquarium, but I'm not certain exactly what you are trying to do with it.
Adding vinegar to kalkwasser solution to increase the saturation point. From the reading I have done, 1 gallon of RO, 45mL of 5% vinegar, and 3tsp (2.7tsp) of Kalk will give you the max saturation?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding vinegar to kalkwasser solution to increase the saturation point. From the reading I have done, 1 gallon of RO, 45mL of 5% vinegar, and 3tsp (2.7tsp) of Kalk will give you the max saturation?

Adding vinegar and addition calcium hydroxide can give higher potency, yes, and those values are appropriate. Note, however, that it can be a pretty big organic carbon dose that you may not want.

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How and when are you measuring your alk/cal?
Are you seeing a lot of precipitation when you dose the kalkwasser? Do you have a lot of Coraline algea and coral that needs it?

paparoof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding vinegar and addition calcium hydroxide can give higher potency, yes, and those values are appropriate. Note, however, that it can be a pretty big organic carbon dose that you may not want.

Any chance of getting a link to some further reading on this? I'm also maxxed out on my kalk dosing - surpassing evaporation.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How and when are you measuring your alk/cal?
Are you seeing a lot of precipitation when you dose the kalkwasser? Do you have a lot of Coraline algea and coral that needs it?
I use Red Sea test Kits and test sort of sporadically. Alk and cal have been consistently low in this tank, I forget the all the numbers, but all has been consistently 7 or below. 11 gallon tank with acro, anacro, stylo, pocillo, monti, and a few LPS. . . Gonna try this maxed out kalk/vinegar and l when that is not enough I will bite the bullet and get another dosing pump (dosing 2 part in my main display)

topjimmy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea test Kits and test sort of sporadically. Alk and cal have been consistently low in this tank, I forget the all the numbers, but all has been consistently 7 or below. 11 gallon tank with acro, anacro, stylo, pocillo, monti, and a few LPS. . . Gonna try this maxed out kalk/vinegar and l when that is not enough I will bite the bullet and get another dosing pump (dosing 2 part in my main displte

I use Red Sea test Kits and test sort of sporadically. Alk and cal have been consistently low in this tank, I forget the all the numbers, but all has been consistently 7 or below. 11 gallon tank with acro, anacro, stylo, pocillo, monti, and a few LPS. . . Gonna try this maxed out kalk/vinegar and l when that is not enough I will bite the bullet and get another dosing pump (dosing 2 part in my main display)
Test alk at the same time or close to it for a few days straight. Don't add anything. You need to figure out what the tank is using every day.
Once you have that information you can slowly bring it to where you want it to be, and you will also know how much of what you need to add to maintain it.

Jbr0nc0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing an 11 gallon tank? You're flirting with disaster. I'd recommend water changes.
Can you explain more on why this is the case? I have a 15gal cube and I dose AFR and reef ab+. However, I also do a 30% water change every month

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain more on why this is the case? I have a 15gal cube and I dose AFR and reef ab+. However, I also do a 30% water change every month

I do not agree that there is a size limitation to dosing a reef tank. Water changes are generally not, IMO, the best way to supplement.

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
I do not agree that there is a size limitation to dosing a reef tank. Water changes are generally not, IMO, the best way to supplement.
I was surprised at this, too, in a way. A guy had 180g and did 25% water changes I think every 2-4 weeks. I can’t remember if it was every 2 or 4 weeks. He was like zero manganese and zero something else, with 4-5 other critically low trace elements. I was really shocked at the amount of zero and low on a tank that does reasonable water changes.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back