Seachem Clarity?

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been having a lot of water clarity issues. So I bought Seachem’s Clarity that was supposed to clear the water quickly. Well I accidentally left the skimmer on so when I added it all I did was feed the skimmer. So I tried it again following all the directions and shook the bottle well and it’s been 4-5 days and nothing. It’s only gotten worse. I can barley see through the water anymore. Idk if the solution just won’t work or something is wrong in my tank. Everything seems to check out fine when I test it. Any ideas?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What sort of colour or look does your water have? Is it cloudy? Could potentially be a bacterial bloom. Do you run UV?
So the water is a yellowish green color. No I don’t run a sterilizer

ReefRondo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use filter socks or a roller filter? How long has your tank been running? Have you carried out any tests?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use filter socks or a roller filter? How long has your tank been running? Have you carried out any tests?
Threw away my last one. Been wanting to get a roller mat. The tank has been running since the end of June. Yes I have

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T
Sounds like a massive bacterial bloom due to poor filtration. You should run filter socks and a UV sterilizer would clear this up quickly.
thinking of plugging in my UV. But what about the Seachem Clarity? Why hasn’t that helped?

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have you done one since the cloudiness started?
The cloudiness I’ve had for about 3 months. And I’ve done 4 water changes since then once every 2 weeks. Every time I do a water change it basically feeds the bacteria as new and fresh bacteria is replaced by the old.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a skimmer for now. Looking to soon purchase the RedSea RollerMat
Skimmer may not be enough the product says:

Binding minuscule particles so they can be disposed of via the filter

In some situations the cloudiness may increase slightly after adding Clarity, however this is normal and is a sign that the product is actively working - a clear tank won't be far behind! It's a good idea to clean filter media after use to remove any remaining debris.

I haven’t used the product myself although I would recommend you to get a sock as soon as possible as it seems fairly important aspect according to the above.

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's meant to be a flocculant against dust from new sand etc. Not meant to clear a bacterial or algal bloom. as others have said.
UV, skimming, fine filtration, time are what generally cause those cloudy blooms to go away.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is cloudy...
Buys fix-it-in-a-bottle...
Water is still cloudy...
Product must be a scam...

Understanding why your water is cloudy is going to help you far more than just throwing money and products at your problem.

OP
OP
Petcrazyson

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is cloudy...
Buys fix-it-in-a-bottle...
Water is still cloudy...
Product must be a scam...

Understanding why your water is cloudy is going to help you far more than just throwing money and products at your problem.
Many people have said and I have understood it to be a bacterial bloom. I have tried many methods regarding bacterial blooms with fix-it-in-a-bottle- solutions and they have worked both for fresh and saltwater. Whenever I have tried to use this certain bottle it never works. Even when I used it in a tank I had set up to help the sand mistiness to go away it wouldn’t work.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back