Seachem Matrix vs Marine Pure

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get some perspective. I understand wanting to add surface area for biological filtration, allowing for more minimal rockwork. Why are so many people using Marine Pure these days when I read about Al leaching and degradation? Seachem Matrix has been on the market for a long time with no degradation or leaching observed and is very porous.

What am I missing here? Why should I use Marine Pure instead of Matrix?

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any links to ICP tests from Matrix users? According to the SDS sheet, matrix is pumice, and pumice is primarily Silicon Dioxide (Amorphous Aluminium Silicate). Maybe one of our chemistry whizzes can explain why Matrix wouldn't release Al as well.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have any links to ICP tests from Matrix users? According to the SDS sheet, matrix is pumice, and pumice is primarily Silicon Dioxide (Amorphous Aluminium Silicate). Maybe one of our chemistry whizzes can explain why Matrix wouldn't release Al as well.

I have not had an IPC test done yet. I would love to get one done in the future though.

Maybe Matrix is leaching Al as well and it just hasn't been as well documented?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you look on the Marine Pure web site, following all the rumours they did scientific studies to basically disprove these rumours which from memory they did or at least provided evidence. There is an article there for you read.

I use both Marine Pure (1 x brick) and now also use Seachem Matrix with about 10 litres of this. They basically do the same job, but I favour Matrix because it’s stones and will never degrade so won’t every need replacing.

I guess you make your choice, but I wouldn’t not use Marine Pure because of those old rumours and would get some more if I felt the need without hesitation.

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like marine pure, I’ve used matrix in the past, it’s fine, I find marine pure more convenient to use space wise than little matrix stones and it makes a good base for macro algae. Most of my marine pure balls have caulerpa growing off them. I haven’t found any issues with aluminum. Even if it did release aluminum doesn’t gfo absorb that easily anyways?

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet the aluminum can be absorbed with carbon .

I guess the real question should be: should I be using Marine Pure instead of Matrix? I've been using matrix for years

Last edited:

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be overlooking the article from MarinePure, have a link? I went to their site and saw these in the FAQ:

What is MarinePure made of and will it leach anything into my water?
MarinePure is an inert aluminosilicate ceramic that has been fired over 1000°C. It will not leach into tank or pond water.

Will MarinePure ROCK affect my water chemistry?
No, MarinePure ROCK is made from an inert ceramic. It has no effect on the water chemistry. One caveat, it also does not add beneficial calcium that some reefers desire.

I have no idea if elevated Al on an ICP test causes anything, but I decided to replace it with rock rubble.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ajmidget

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use matrix mainly due to space etc. Whilst I'd go to marine pure if I had the space, I've heard and seen how fragile the blocks can be, and whether by accidental knocking them on the glass of the sump or equipment, or damage from shipping, bits can break off from it which overall reduces the amount of surface area on the block (varying depending how much, if any breaks).

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ve used matrix in the past in a TLF reactor, slowing the flow enough i was able to dial the nitrate numbers on my tank. I currently use it in a bag in my pico reef and works ok for me, actually i need to add potasium nitrate weekly because my nutrients stay very low N-2-3 Po4 .01

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I´ve used matrix in the past in a TLF reactor, slowing the flow enough i was able to dial the nitrate numbers on my tank. I currently use it in a bag in my pico reef and works ok for me, actually i need to add potasium nitrate weekly because my nutrients stay very low N-2-3 Po4 .01

Never thought to run it in a reactor. Right now I have 1L in a mesh bag, sitting under a filter floss tray in my Nuvo 30L.

Iván Olalla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never thought to run it in a reactor. Right now I have 1L in a mesh bag, sitting under a filter floss tray in my Nuvo 30L.
Pretty much what i do in the pico reef! in the reactor i had better result with less than 30´40 gallons per hour max flow rate, putting it in a non lit area of the sump and the return feeding on the skimmer chamber. Every month i shacked the reactor a little to avoid flow restrictions and flushed with more pressure from the manifold every 2/3 months, worked fine for me

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s a low flow media. Is there a fuge chamber in your aio?

Only lower flow place I can think of is the return chamber.

You can see the configuration I am using in the attached image. I am running the "W/ Skimmer Standard" set up with the Matrix under the filter floss holder. I have a media rack on the other side and fuge basket for growing grape calurpa.

View attachment intank.jpg

Aardvark1134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using Pond Matrix forever in both saltwater and freshwater. Note: Pond matrix is the same as matrix just bigger pieces. I have found not only is the pond matrix far cheaper in bulk but the larger size pieces seem to actually make it work better too. You can get their Pond matrix in a 5.3 gallon bucket for like $100 and have enough to split between several people. Or enough for 1 monster tank :)

https://www.amazon.com/Pond-Matrix-...s=pond+matrix&qid=1562711140&s=gateway&sr=8-2

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This. They’re the same chemical composition. Just obviously shaped differently. Both aluminum silicate. Just rinse it well and you’ll be fine. Too many people use it with all types of corals for it to be a problem.

Michigan Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the marine pure blocks and spheres in my drain chamber of the sump. Only problem is removing them to clean out the sump or changing the filter socks is if I am not careful the media falls apart very easily and leave lots of small particles into my sump. I'm sure if undisturbed the media is fine as long as its not touched by anything. I'd like to try the pond matrix as i've seen on Prolificbreed on Youtube. He has lots of pond matrix in bags in the sump and and also uses them for attaching mushrooms. Could pond matrix be used as frag mounts for other corals?

Back