Seachem Matrix vs Marine Pure

aqua_code

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use matrix now because when I started out using triton with marine pure, I saw small amounts of aluminum in my water from the ICP. It's hard to blame marine pure directly because this could have been from PVC or something else. When I switched to matrix I didn't have the problem anymore. Matrix uses pumice rock or something that's not ceramic based.

OP
OP
ReeferReefer

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the marine pure blocks and spheres in my drain chamber of the sump. Only problem is removing them to clean out the sump or changing the filter socks is if I am not careful the media falls apart very easily and leave lots of small particles into my sump. I'm sure if undisturbed the media is fine as long as its not touched by anything. I'd like to try the pond matrix as i've seen on Prolificbreed on Youtube. He has lots of pond matrix in bags in the sump and and also uses them for attaching mushrooms. Could pond matrix be used as frag mounts for other corals?
No reason it cant be used for frag plugs. It's just a lot more expensive than rock rubble, which would be my first choice.

I like Matrix for the same reason. I keep it in a bag which keeps everything clean.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siporax is the best bio media IMO, esp because its structure is easy to stack/organize, it's also sintered glass so it doesn't leach metals like bio pure supposedly, Second place would have to be matrix

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually been curious about Matrix. Does Matrix have things in it that are "good for your tank," or is it just the porous nature of it? I currently have this stuff off Amazon:

Seems to work pretty good for the price, but I have considered replacing it with a few blocks of Marine Pure or throw some bags of Matrix in it, but I cant decide between the two.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have actually been curious about Matrix. Does Matrix have things in it that are "good for your tank," or is it just the porous nature of it? I currently have this stuff off Amazon:

Seems to work pretty good for the price, but I have considered replacing it with a few blocks of Marine Pure or throw some bags of Matrix in it, but I cant decide between the two.

No it just provides surface area and a very fine pore complex where anaerobic denitrification can occur too.
No reef "fairy dust" is in it to my knowledge. lol

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back