SeaChem Reef Salt Review:

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all. This is kinda a follow up on my Great Salt Debate Post about a week ago. I have been using Instant Ocean for several years and was getting tired of having to add supplements to bring my salt water up to spec for my reef tanks. This weekend I bought a 200 gallon bulk box of SeaChem Reef Salt. I thought that I would post my findings on this brand for everyone.

5 gallons of SeaChem Reef salt @ 1.025 ppt: (dry salt was thoroughly mixed before testing) (using RO/DI water)

phosphate: Test #1 Using ELOS Water Analysis PO4 Test Kit. PO4 = undetectable
Test #2 Using Digital Hanna PO4 Checker. PO4 = 0.08 ppm

Nitrates: Test #1 Using (crappy) API Nitrate Test Kit. NO3 = undetectable
Test #2 Using Sailfert Nitrate Test Kit. NO3 = undetectable

PH: Test #1 Using Milwaukee Digital PH Tester. PH = 8.0 to 8.1
Test #2 Using Salifert PH Test Kit PH = 8.1

note: ( PH was checked in a dark bucket, so I would expect the PH to climb in a lighted tank)

Alkalinity: Test #1 Using Salifert KH/ALK Test Kit. Alk = 7.7

Calcium: Test #1 Using Salifert Calcium Test Kit. Cal = 490 mg/L = ppm

Magnesium: Test #1 Using Salifert Mag Test Kit. Mag = 1490 ppm

My thoughts: A little bit of detectable PO4, but nothing a little GFO wont take care of. Calcium was found to be high, but after I add a little Alkalinity Buffer it should drop. I like to keep my alk around 8.0 to 8.2
Magnesium a little high. I keep my tanks around 1300 to 1350 ppm. Higher Mag readings are a good thing in my eyes. The salt mixed up clear with no residue on the bottom of the mixing bucket.
Smell: (Yes, I smelled the salt water) No chemical odor or strange smells. (Instant Ocean has a slight chemical smell to it. IMO)
Over all I am happy with this salt mix. I know this is only one test and many will find this info inconclusive. Will I keep using this salt? Time will only tell. I will need to see how my Corals, Invert's , and fish
respond to this salt brand. I intend to keep trying other salt brands in the future. I hope this little bit of info helps anyone out looking to change salt brands. I'll be posting updates on any changes I find in my tanks
this month. I also gave 2- 50 gallon bags of this salt to my good friend and fellow Reefer to see what readings he comes up with.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a 20 percent water change last night, corals are fully open this morning. Heck. Even my Fighting Conch is up and about. He usually isn't active until evening. No signs of stress on anything yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 422
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 449
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 427

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any follow up? What brand did you settle on? I'm looking at switching to seachem reef salt.

Why that one?

It's a fine mix, but I'm not sure it is any better than a lot of others. :)

Piranhapat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use Salinity by Sea Chem. LFS was the only way to get it. But the price kept going up every time I ordered it. So I switch to Reef Salt which was easier to get online and a lot cheaper. I basically try all the top salts and the only difference was money. I got all SPS tank and their just as happy as expensive salt.

NightStar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why that one?

It's a fine mix, but I'm not sure it is any better than a lot of others. :)

I have been using aquamedic but my stash is gone so I've been trying to find a good one to switch to. Looked at Fritz but there were a lot of bad reviews, both online and the people I know. Lots of bad residue left in the bucket after mixing, some batches had high phos, others low alk, etc. Then looked at RedSea coral pro salt, but reviews on that are 50/50 positive and negative, including people I know. They say the just aren't happy and can tell a difference in their corals when they switch from redsea to something else. I've heard good things about instant ocean, but a lot of people have to add supplements when they mix the water before adding to a tank. I understand the salt won't keep my tank by itself, and I dose my tank, but I'd at least like to not have to dose my salt as well. I've heard good things about reef crystals, and about salinity. Salinity is on the pricier side, but if it's worth it I don't mind. Seachem reef so far is reviewing well. It also depends on what I can get relatively easy and I have a way to get the seachem, hence why it's next on the list to look at. I realize a salt isn't ever going to get 100% positive reviews, but I'm looking for at least more of a 80/20 mix then 50/50.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used several diff salt mixes i.e. Coral pro always left a lot of residue after mixing, reef crystals seemed to take a long time to dissolve, HW marine reefers fairly expensive mixes clear fast but seems to be low on the main params, now I went to the seachem and it mixes clear fairly quickly doesn't seem to leave a lot of residue and is fairly consistent in the main params and both of my lfs use it and cost really isn't that bad about $53 for 200 gal mix. And my corals seem to like it

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations are welcome :)

IMO, all salt mixes have pros and cons, and as long as you recognize what they are and how they relate to your husbandry practices, nearly any salt mix can do a great job. There is no best mix.

I use regular Instant Ocean. :)

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got a bucket of salinity aquavitro salt from LFS and mixing as we speak anyone have opinions on this salt? I know they are all about the same but the price is good and I like to support my LFS vs buying online.

LostInTheDark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for years. The best thing about it is that it mixes consistently from batch to batch. The levels for each batch are stamped right on the bucket. I did my first triton test recently and was very happy that everything came back as expected. I always wonder about all the excess metals or lack thereof in everyone's test come from. I thought it might be from the salts.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for taking time to reply. I really liked the levels for each batch printed on the bucket and was one reason I got it.

OP
OP
Zacco

Zacco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have also switched to Aqua-Vitro Salinity in the past year. As with 1eberk, my LFS carries it and a like to support local stores around me to keep the economy strong in my part of town. Having the batch analysis printed right on the bucket is a big plus in my eyes. Seachem also sends their salt to a third party for Calcium/ Mag/and Strontium analysis as well as their own quality control lab. I just like to have a piece of mind knowing the levels in the salt that I put into my tanks. Clarity seems better too in the tanks IMO.

moreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks Zacco glad to hear some positive reviews couldn't find a whole lot online.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, all salt mixes have pros and cons, and as long as you recognize what they are and how they relate to your husbandry practices, nearly any salt mix can do a great job. There is no best mix.

I use regular Instant Ocean. :)
Randy,
Do you know if Seachem is still using borate in their reef salt mix? I know they did years ago but I don't know if they changed from all the complaints about that back then.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they revised it downward once, but i do not know the current specification. Their web data is ambiguous. It says born and says 16 mg/L (NSW has 4.5 mg/L). But do they really mean borate [ B(OH)4− ] , which has a higher molecular weight?

http://www.seachem.com/reef-salt.php#concentrations

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back