Seachem Tidal 55 or instant ocean 150 skimmer

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which filter would be better for a reef tank. Which is better quality/has more for the money. Looking to upgrade filtration for my 55g tank. I have the option to get a brand new instant ocean 150 for 80$ or a tidal 55 for 60$ or I could go with tidal 75 for 80$. Do you have experience with any if them, if so good and bad opinions please. Thanks

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would skip the Seachem Tidal, I would get the largest Fluval model and get the In Tank conversion kit.

OP
OP
L

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my tidal 75

The seachem runs a sicce pump ,its very quiet, can "skim" the surface of the water and has a huge media basket
That was added to my list because someone from another thread told me how much he liked it and recommended it. What size tanks do you guys have and are there corals? If so what kinds? Does it need alot of maintenance? Are you happy for the price? Does it keep the water really clean and help remove nitrates? Sorry a bunch of questions. Just want some advice for what to get this weekend. Thanks

Bryson.bobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a sea clone 150 .How good are they?
I had a seaclone 100 and it was absolutely horribe, I had to mod it by putting a top of a wtr bottle in the neck and it still didn’t work well.

Are you looking for an in sump or a hob? I have a reef octo 110 classic and it’s great.

OP
OP
L

lilfish717

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a seaclone 100 and it was absolutely horribe, I had to mod it by putting a top of a wtr bottle in the neck and it still didn’t work well.

Are you looking for an in sump or a hob? I have a reef octo 110 classic and it’s great.
Anything HOb until I get my sumo set up which won't be for a couple months. The tidal does seem like a great filter. I read a bunch of bad reviews about the sea clone 150.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which Fluval model
https://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Cl...0_Gallons-Aqua_Clear-HG10595-FIFRHBTU-vi.html The 110 model my basic rule of thumb is double the size of the tank for the filter. I have the Seachem Tidal 55 on a 25 gallon Lagoon tank, if you stir up the sand it will take over a day to clear it, too much by-pass.
The Fluval you can add your own media, you could do the conversion.
https://intankaquatics.com/aquaclear-110-media-basket/
Very pricey but you could buy the Fluval for about 25 bucks on the used market.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%

Back