Lights and Protein Skimmer - IM 150g Lagoon

Yeahtoast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First time reef aquarium - looking for some advice on lighting and protein skimmer for a IM 150g Lagoon (47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”).

Protein Skimmer: I was looking at the Reef Octopus 150 (is this big enough? Or do I need the 200?) but can’t tell if classic or regal will do. Or if any other better options….

Lights: Various options I was looking at the Photon and the Radion - but not sure which version AND how many I would need for my tank size?

Note - will get into corals, nothing crazy…for now.

Any help would be great!!!!

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

First time reef aquarium - looking for some advice on lighting and protein skimmer for a IM 150g Lagoon (47.3” x 35.4” x 19.7”).

Protein Skimmer: I was looking at the Reef Octopus 150 (is this big enough? Or do I need the 200?) but can’t tell if classic or regal will do. Or if any other better options….

Lights: Various options I was looking at the Photon and the Radion - but not sure which version AND how many I would need for my tank size?

Note - will get into corals, nothing crazy…for now.

Any help would be great!!!!
welcome to the club.

BubblesandSqueak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m following. Need to upgrade my skimmer too for the same tank.
I've only had one skimmer really but the Bashsea is pretty nice. It's a big footprint if you're in the sump but worked great. I have the waste collector too which is a good thing to just leave it that way but I've never had it fill up more than about 2 cups total.

flatlander93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running a seriously undersized octo 110 with a Refugium. Worked great for a while but not keeping up well now. I’m leaning toward an octo 200 or those AquaMaxx skimmers look nice. Just not sure it’s gonna be a good one.

bked180

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the IM112 and I have (4) XR-15’s and have good coverage. For the 150 I would say (6) XR-15’s. What I like about the XR-15’s is if one light goes down you don’t loose lighting over half the tank. Good luck with your tank!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back