Seachem tidal being noisy

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know its a bit early to be complaining but my seachem tidal filters been gurgling and vibrating for about half an hour now. Is this a normal thing as the pump needs to “break” in?

tjohnson3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes… takes a few days for slime buildup to quiet down. Plus it’s got a little skimmer to add to the noise. I almost went that route Bc of the surface skimmer, but based on all the reviews (lots of noise complaints) I went old school with the aquaclear

OP
OP
L

LukeSivyer45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes… takes a few days for slime buildup to quiet down. Plus it’s got a little skimmer to add to the noise. I almost went that route Bc of the surface skimmer, but based on all the reviews (lots of noise complaints) I went old school with the aquaclear
Ok thanks

Celestion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you fit some thin material like poly foam ect ect under mating surface...in a salt tank you can see impeller wear at 1 year...aquaclear is no different...

OneSockERock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running a Tidal 75 on my QT for almost 4 months now, not a true test of time I know, but I find it only marginally louder than the aquaclear 70's on my other tanks.

It was a little gurgley at first but I thought that was because I was running the water level too low. I started keeping the water level over the output, right below where the surface skimming slits start to angle and it seemed to quiet down.

I also noticed some of the noise was from the water coming over the top when a media bag is slightly hanging over. I started rolling the top bag around the media to keep it from flapping over the edge which also seemed to help.

If all else fails after trying to break it in, you can adjust the flow with that dial as well and kinda find a spot that isn't as noisy without sacrificing too much flow.

Never experienced the vibrating with mine though, so something else may be up there.

Hope it works out for you, I love my tried and true aquaclears but I'm really digging the extra features of the Tidal.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Tidal 55 on a 20gal and have never really noticed any noise problem other than a rattle when the cover was not in it's proper place.

Is the screw in the back snugged up against the tank wall, maybe? It's not the easiest thing to get to.

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 35 and 55 that I use for QTs and both have been completely quiet from day one. If it’s buzzing and rattling something is off.

I second the checking the brace on the back, but also consider taking the motor block back off and making sure things are aligned.

Macu84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I know its a bit early to be complaining but my seachem tidal filters been gurgling and vibrating for about half an hour now. Is this a normal thing as the pump needs to “break” in?
Has it gotten any better? I've had the 30 and 50 that was very quiet. However with the 75 it has been loud. I've had mine for a couple weeks now and I'm wondering if it just takes time to quiet down?

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you fit some thin material like poly foam ect ect under mating surface...in a salt tank you can see impeller wear at 1 year...aquaclear is no different...
Aquaclear isn't different because the Tidal is an Aquaclear rip-off with a couple extra semi-useless dodads ;Joyful

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquaclear isn't different because the Tidal is an Aquaclear rip-off with a couple extra semi-useless dodads ;Joyful
They are nothing alike. I ran aquaclears on my freshwater tanks for years and switched to the tidals, one of the main reasons why was because of the dang siphon breaking on the aquaclears during any kind of power interruptions. The tidals don't have that problem, and you don't have to DIY them to put different media in them. One thing that is a pain in the butt on the tidals is that if anything is blocking the intake slits it's really loud from the pump sucking air my freshwater tank is planted so leaves will block it sometimes and I can hear it from outside.

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also you need to keep the water level as high as you can to keep it quiet.

LiveFreeAndReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are nothing alike. I ran aquaclears on my freshwater tanks for years and switched to the tidals, one of the main reasons why was because of the dang siphon breaking on the aquaclears during any kind of power interruptions. The tidals don't have that problem, and you don't have to DIY them to put different media in them. One thing that is a pain in the butt on the tidals is that if anything is blocking the intake slits it's really loud from the pump sucking air my freshwater tank is planted so leaves will block it sometimes and I can hear it from outside.
I've never had the power go out for more than a few minutes (just lucky, my buddy 5 minutes up the road loses his all the time) and I've only ever had to re-prime my aquaclears when I do waterchanges. The water level is high enough for them to keep their siphon if they get disconnected from power. I haven't had to DIY anything for media, most media is in bags and an aquaclear is just a plastic box to put media in lol Water noise doesn't bother me, I keep boxes of running water!
To each their own though!

Signed,
Aquaclear Fanboy ;Joyful

legionofdoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had the power go out for more than a few minutes (just lucky, my buddy 5 minutes up the road loses his all the time) and I've only ever had to re-prime my aquaclears when I do waterchanges. The water level is high enough for them to keep their siphon if they get disconnected from power. I haven't had to DIY anything for media, most media is in bags and an aquaclear is just a plastic box to put media in lol Water noise doesn't bother me, I keep boxes of running water!
To each their own though!

Signed,
Aquaclear Fanboy ;Joyful
It's not the sound of running water is literally sounds like a garbage disposal when when the tidals start sucking air.

Bsmith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t believe all of the people here that are giving remedies for problems they know nothing about because it’s on a filter they do not own. Stop it. Don’t do that ever again.

The tidal has a common problem with the magnet/impeller shaft wearing tge motor housing components which makes a very noticeable abd annoying rattle noise during operation. Mine is a bit over a year old and is so loud it’s driving me nuts.

i am going to cut sone plastic tubing to use as a spacer/brace to try to keep the whole thing more secure while running.

Bobbyg.mccray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tidal 55 in a 20 gallon long I pulled the pump power cord tight and routed it through the little channels..pretty ok sound level. Hums like a needle wheel skimmer.

Back