Seaclone 100 quieter motor?

Pazernaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

New reefer here getting my feet wet and loving this hobby. I was organizing my tank storage space over the weekend and accidentally kicked my power strip off. When I turned it back on, everything worked except the protein skimmer, that was silent. messed around with it for a few seconds and realized something I had never noticed before, that thing is LOUD!

I've found that the pump is a Maxi-Jet 1200 it uses, but before I run out and grab one or try to find a fuse on it, does anyone have a recommendation for a pump that doesn't sound like it's going to shake my house to pieces that's also a drop in replacement? I didn't realize how loud my skimmer was until the pump died, but now that it's off, I don't know if I can go back to the noise unless that's common with all skimmers.

Also, there's a chance it's not normally loud, it was just old/gunky since my tank is a restoration from neglect, so if you have the same skimmer and it's not that loud, let me know :)

OP
OP
Pazernaker

Pazernaker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step one would be clean the pump and see if that fixes the issue.
I had just cleaned the whole tank including all the motors, tubing, power heads, etc, two days prior to this pump dying, so I thought it must be dead. Took it out, cleaned the impeller again, put it all back together and it fired right up, whisper quiet... Salt water is weird.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 27.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 32.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back