Seagrass Aquarium at the Ocean Discovery Visitors Center

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!
I work as a graduate student assistant and aquarist at the Ocean Discovery Visitors Center. We are a small educational facility designed to showcase all of the research being conducted by the marine scientists and engineers at Florida Atlantic University's Harbor Branch Oceanographic Institute, which is located in Fort Pierce, Florida. We have recently renovated the visitors center to include several aquariums that highlight some of our research areas. As a long time hobbyist and member of Reef2Reef I wanted to show everyone here some of the aquariums we have built.

Also check out two of my other threads about aquariums at the Ocean Discovery Visitors Center

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/1...t-the-ocean-discovery-visitors-center.413700/

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sponge-reef-at-the-ocean-discovery-visitors-center.409311/

The aquarium I would like to highlight is our first ever build that is part of our Marine Ecosystem Health Exhibit. This tank showcases the beauty and importance of seagrass ecosystems that are found in the Indian River Lagoon.
HBOI_Site_Link_Port_Channel.jpg

spoil-islands-1.jpg

For those of you who are not aware, the Indian River Lagoon is an estuary (which is a mix of freshwater from inland and saltwater from the ocean) of national significance that runs approximately 156 miles along the east coast of Florida. It encompasses 6 inlets from Ponce Inlet in the north to Jupiter Inlet in the south and is made up of the Indian River, the Mosquito Lagoon and the Banana River.
IRLMap.gif
Picture1.jpg

The Indian River Lagoon (IRL) contributes nearly $8 billion to Florida's economy each year and it is the most biologically diverse estuary in North America. It is home to approximately 2,200 animal species and 2,100 plant species. Much of the animal diversity in the IRL is driven by our 7 different species of seagrass that grow throughout the estuary. Seagrasses are submerged flowering plants that provide a nursery ground habitat for the nearly 1,000 fish species that live in the lagoon. These fish serve as a huge source of recreation for fisherman as well as an important food source for many wading birds and upper level predators like dolphin. Seagrasses are also an important food source for the manatee population that live here in the IRL.

Picture3.jpg

Picture4.jpg

Picture2.jpg

It is for these reasons that the seagrass in the IRL are of critical importance and why we have decided to highlight them in this build. Our researchers here at FAU Harbor Branch work to study seagrass by conducting transects to determine coverage in our local areas as well as the impacts that water quality have on the seagrass beds in the Indian River Lagoon. Unfortunately, there has been a significant decline in seagrasses coverage throughout the IRL, upwards of 60% loss overall. Much of this decline is due to increasing poor water quality, freshwater releases, algae blooms and increasing storm severity. Due to these losses we are seeing a decline in the abundance and diversity of fish in impacted areas. In order to combat these losses our research team is working to aquaculture seagrass in an effort to eventually transplant these critically important species back into the estuary.
-brebrd02-13-2014daily1a00320140212img-brebrd03-20-2013d11556.jpg

This is a build that has gone through many ups and downs and I will be showing some of the difficulties that I have run into while trying to grow these fairly tricky species.

Current system supplies:
30 gallon Clear for Life Acrylic Aquarium
2 Aquaillumination Hydra 52 HD LEDs
Aqueon 1700 Return Pump
Reef Octopus Classic 90 HOB Skimmer
Jebao PP-8 Powerhead
Coralife 9 watt UV Sterilizer
Eheim 100 watt Heater

IMG_3335.jpg

IMG_9694.jpeg

Humble beginnings:
6 inch live sand/mud bed

Floating seagrass fragments were collected from behind our campus after a significant storm and planted into our aquarium. We chose to showcase the three most common species found within our area of the IRL.
Thallasia testudinum (Turtle grass)
Syringodium fileforme (Manatee grass)
Halodule wrightii (Shoal grass)

IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0696.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG

Since all of the livestock was collected from the local environment, we found we were prone to many types of algae blooms. Our first was a cyanobacteria bloom that covered our sandbed and persisted until we found...

...our little superhero! This ragged sea hare devoured all of the cyanobacteria in our seagrass tank and made it look brand new again.
IMG_0758.jpg

Another issue that we have encountered in this build is the presence of epiphytes. Epiphytes are small plants or algae that grow on the surfaces of other plants, in this case our seagrass. However, by finding the right grazers we were able to naturally control these epiphytes within our tank.

IMG_1161.JPG

But its not all bad. While we have been through many difficulties with this tank we have also been able to see some really cool things.

IMG_2168.jpg

This is a seagrass flower found on our Turtle grass. Our seagrass researches were very excited because this was the first time they had ever seen this particular species produce a flower.

After almost two years this aquarium has changed quite a bit. We have had a tremendous amount of growth and have also been able to house some really neat juvenile estuarine fish.
IMG_3337.jpg

IMG_1624.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_3345.PNG

We currently have:
1 juvenile spot porgy
1 juvenile filefish (not identified)
1 sleeper goby (not identified)
1 algae eating blenny (not identified)

I hope everyone enjoys and learned something about the Indian River Lagoon and the importance of seagrass beds. I will keep everyone posted with pictures and updates as we make changes!

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to set up a new seagrass tank, how would you go about it the second time around? I've been toying with the idea of turning the fuge area of my sump into a seagrass display.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very cool!

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you were to set up a new seagrass tank, how would you go about it the second time around? I've been toying with the idea of turning the fuge area of my sump into a seagrass display.
Oh good question! I’d definitely go a little deeper on the sandbed, at least 8 inches or so. I would have to say more diffused flow as well. I feel like with my current powerhead I am getting too much movement in one area and not in the rest. Most importantly for my display I should’ve established a healthy population of copepods and amphipods before adding fish. They are the most efficient grazers on epiphytes and I can’t keep a steady population now that I have fish. Other than that I am pretty happy with my setup!

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh good question! I’d definitely go a little deeper on the sandbed, at least 8 inches or so. I would have to say more diffused flow as well. I feel like with my current powerhead I am getting too much movement in one area and not in the rest. Most importantly for my display I should’ve established a healthy population of copepods and amphipods before adding fish. They are the most efficient grazers on epiphytes and I can’t keep a steady population now that I have fish. Other than that I am pretty happy with my setup!

Awesome. Do you think there's any kind of grass that'll work in 3-4" of sandbed? I don't have too much vertical space to play with in my fuge.

OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are very common along the rocky shorelines.
Sweet I’m going to do a bit of research on them now that I have an ID lol.

Awesome. Do you think there's any kind of grass that'll work in 3-4" of sandbed? I don't have too much vertical space to play with in my fuge.
Yes. The shoal grass and manatee grass will be okay in 3-4 inches. More than that just gives you wiggle room. It’s the turtle grass that really need the 8 inches.

pokerdobe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet I’m going to do a bit of research on them now that I have an ID lol.

Yes. The shoal grass and manatee grass will be okay in 3-4 inches. More than that just gives you wiggle room. It’s the turtle grass that really need the 8 inches.

Awesome. Do you think there's will be anything to be aware of adding seagrass to a full blown reef system? Also, substrate recommendations? 50/50 mud and sand or more on the mud side? Thanks for all your help.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a macro farmer, I will say this about seagrass, it is much more difficult than macro algae or coral for that matter. Get intense lighting to be successful.

For serious growers, get some dirt from your garden. If you live near the Indian River Lagoon, get some muck from the grass flats or if you are @Paul B then you get your muck from Long Island Sound along with pods and ghost shrimp.

@Brandon McHenry
The Smithsonian at Fort Pierce is your next neighbor.
https://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Gracil_tikvah.htm

Laissez les bonne temps roulee,
Patrick

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

Brandon,
Bravo on your seagrass tank. I am jealous of your location. My first marine tank was in 1971, while attending the Texas Maritime Academy in Galveston, Tx. After taking Chemical Oceaneering 101, as a technical elective, I was fascinated by the relationship between athmosphere, ocean and marine substrate. Now that I have maintained reef tanks for 47 years, I am fascinated with biofiltration foundation of bacteria, algae and sponges. After 25 years, I turned out the lights on my 30G EcoSystem mud/macro refugium and seeded with cryptic sponges. Because DOC tends to accumulate in a reef tank, I used GAC to absorb DOC. Since I have read Steve Tyree book on cryptic zone filtration, I prefer to recycle nutrients thru interconnected food webs: seagrass gives of DOC, cryptic sponges absorb DOC and produce DIC & reef snow, both of which are food for corals. I see your assortment of fish. Have you considered filter feeders and Anemone for your seagrass lagoon? Ball Sponges, flame scallops, Sea Apples as well as LPS would thrive in a high nutrient lagoon. Good fortune on whatever direction you go. You might consider feeding co2 to the tank or better, use a calcium reactor to get co2 injection as well as calcium, magnesium and trace mineral addittion.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/

A friend at another hobby website grew his seagrass tank for > 5 years in Phoenix, Arizona. He had three 400W MH at 5000 Kelvin on a 120G tank. He drained it this summer to make major modifications. He had a wave maker for rhythmic surge. It was quite hypnotic to watch and listen to the Blue Danube from “2001 A Space Odyssey”. Who needs TV.

Patrick

Last edited:
OP
OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Do you think there's will be anything to be aware of adding seagrass to a full blown reef system? Also, substrate recommendations? 50/50 mud and sand or more on the mud side? Thanks for all your help.
The only thing I would be aware of is hitchicking algal species. You wouldn’t want to get anything weird into your reef so it depends where you get grass from. I would say more towards the mud side works the best but not true mud. It’s about finding a balance. Good luck if you decide to try seagrass!

As a macro farmer, I will say this about seagrass, it is much more difficult than macro algae or coral for that matter. Get intense lighting to be successful.

For serious growers, get some dirt from your garden. If you live near the Indian River Lagoon, get some muck from the grass flats or if you are @Paul B then you get your muck from Long Island Sound along with pods and ghost shrimp.

@Brandon McHenry
The Smithsonian at Fort Pierce is your next neighbor.
https://www.sms.si.edu/irlspec/Gracil_tikvah.htm

Patrick

image.jpg

Brandon,
Bravo on your seagrass tank. I am jealous of your location. My first marine tank was in 1971, while attending the Texas Maritime Academy in Galveston, Tx. After taking Chemical Oceaneering 101, as a technical elective, I was fascinated by the relationship between athmosphere, ocean and marine substrate. Now that I have maintained reef tanks for 47 years, I am fascinated with biofiltration foundation of bacteria, algae and sponges. After 25 years, I turned out the lights on my 30G EcoSystem mud/macro refugium and seeded with cryptic sponges. Because DOC tends to accumulate in a reef tank, I used GAC to absorb DOC. Since I have read Steve Tyree book on cryptic zone filtration, I prefer to recycle nutrients thru interconnected food webs: seagrass gives of DOC, cryptic sponges absorb DOC and produce DIC & reef snow, both of which are food for corals. I see your assortment of fish. Have you considered filter feeders and Anemone for your seagrass lagoon? Ball Sponges, flame scallops, Sea Apples as well as LPS would thrive in a high nutrient lagoon. Good fortune on whatever direction you go. You might consider feeding co2 to the tank or better, use a calcium reactor to get co2 injection as well as calcium, magnesium and trace mineral addittion.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/2...m-on-top-with-30g-ecosystem-mud-macro.421526/

A friend at another hobby website grew his seagrass tank for > 5 years in Phoenix, Arizona. He had three 400W MH at 5000 Kelvin on a 120G tank. He drained it this summer to make major modifications. He had a wave maker for rhythmic surge. It was quite hypnotic to watch and listen to the Blue Danube from “2001 A Space Odyssey”. Who needs TV.

Patrick
Thank you for your kind words. Yes I am very lucky to be in the area that I am and I know Bill Hoffman at the Smithsonian. We have worked together for livestock and he has supplied all of the protected Florida coral that I am now growing in my Florida Coral Reef tank. I’d also like to say wow that is an incredibly long time to be keeping saltwater aquariums! I’ve only been at it for 6 or so years so I’m nowhere near your level lol. I also agree that the more natural filtration you have the better. It is really interesting how complex nature can be and when we do our best to replicate it, we tend to get the best results. However, for this system the main focus is the seagrass since that is what ties in to this particular research group and what they study. I have an entire tank dedicated to sponges which I have also highlighted in another thread. That being said, I wouldn’t doubt that filter feeding organisms would make a nice addition to this system from a biological aspect. I appreciate your interest in my display and if you like it please check out my other two threads and let me know what you think!

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+10 to getting healthy pod populations before adding fish. I have several differrent ornamental macro algae in differrent displays. Bortacladia, Halymenia Elongate and Gracilaria need weekly shaking to flush out debris/detritus, except in my pod tanks. All of the red macros in pod tank are looking good with pods at home in macro.

image.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 50 52.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 8.3%
Back