Seahorse and Coral Compatibility

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I found this local business that I love and I’m wanting to add a couple of seahorse/fish safe corals. This will be my first coral so I really need something that won’t hate me if I mess something up once or twice. Here is a list. Let me know which ones I’d be safe with.

F1B6AE9E-A571-414E-9E8C-4F43DC16195D.jpeg F6E502AC-8D97-4A20-BC32-C3E4503543A5.jpeg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPeaking directly to your question any coral the won't be grabbed by a seahorse "should" be ok. In general though, seahorses do better in cooler water than most corals like (they've got a screwy immune system that makes them more susceptable to bacterial infections at warmer temps).

OP
OP
lucyemc2

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPeaking directly to your question any coral the won't be grabbed by a seahorse "should" be ok. In general though, seahorses do better in cooler water than most corals like (they've got a screwy immune system that makes them more susceptable to bacterial infections at warmer temps).
Which ones off of that list would you recommend off of that list?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have seahorses? If not, focus on providing them with a healthy environment first and worry about coral second. Having had a seahorse tank, I can tell you they're not as easy as fish and takes some specific considerations like @Timfish mentioned.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have been dreaming of doing a SH sett up for years and years now. finally started it a few months back -slowest build ever tho.

anyway as others have said focus on the SH 1st make sure you can keep the tank 74 or under and the SG right.

but to answer your question. the short answer is anything that stings is a no no for the SH.
here is a link to a breeder here in the US. lots of great info on her site too.

but here is the link to the SH safe corals:
https://seahorsesavvy.com/collections/coral-seahorse-safe

my self i am a huge fan of Gorgs so my tank will have lots of those along with softies and macro algae.

The Roaming Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Which species of seahorse are you keeping? I've kept H. erectus at ~76 degrees with zoas, mushrooms, gorgonians, blastos, and gonis. As long as the corals don't have a potent sting, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend SPS because they do better at a bit higher temps.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh here are a few FB groups for seahorses that are pretty active. so if you're a FB used might want to join a group or two.

here is like to the Gorgs. on here site there are others that have them too.

here a nice place to get macro alage too:

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which species of seahorse are you keeping? I've kept H. erectus at ~76 degrees with zoas, mushrooms, gorgonians, blastos, and gonis. As long as the corals don't have a potent sting, you should be fine. I wouldn't recommend SPS because they do better at a bit higher temps.
I agree, altho the only SH tank I have ever seen in person was a full SPS and SH tank was epic.
possable but not easy.

OP
OP
lucyemc2

lucyemc2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you already have seahorses? If not, focus on providing them with a healthy environment first and worry about coral second. Having had a seahorse tank, I can tell you they're not as easy as fish and takes some specific considerations like @Timfish mentioned.
Already have them.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
I have been dreaming of doing a SH sett up for years and years now. finally started it a few months back -slowest build ever tho.

anyway as others have said focus on the SH 1st make sure you can keep the tank 74 or under and the SG right.

but to answer your question. the short answer is anything that stings is a no no for the SH.
here is a link to a breeder here in the US. lots of great info on her site too.

but here is the link to the SH safe corals:
https://seahorsesavvy.com/collections/coral-seahorse-safe

my self i am a huge fan of Gorgs so my tank will have lots of those along with softies and macro algae.
That's the link I posted in their other thread :)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry, but I wouldn't try to keep seahorses and corals together so I don't ahve a reccomendation. What I posted was to hopefully gove you some food for thought and hopefully minimize any short term or long term issues seahorses might have when grabing animals that can harm them should you decide to try keeping them together.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, but I wouldn't try to keep seahorses and corals together so I don't ahve a reccomendation. What I posted was to hopefully gove you some food for thought and hopefully minimize any short term or long term issues seahorses might have when grabing animals that can harm them should you decide to try keeping them together.
There are things like some gorgonians that are perfect for seahorses... but a lot that aren't recommended.

Eric R.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good guide to seahorse safe corals: https://seahorsesavvy.com/blogs/news/tank-mates-for-captive-bred-seahorses

Avoid corals like frogspawn, hammers, and acans. Zoas or mushrooms should be fine.

I'm curious if they mean waving hands anthelia instead of sinularia. Could do this, but it spreads fast, so be careful! Should be hardy. Or try the nepthea.

Tidal Gardens has excellent coral care videos for many different types of corals: https://tidalgardens.com/stock-koji-wada-pink-nepthea.html

If there are local reef keeping groups in your area, you can join up and ask around if anyone has any fast growing soft corals they'd be willing to share. Many of the easiest beginner soft corals area also seahorse safe and grow rapidly, so they aren't hard to find for free or very cheap from other hobbyists.

Did you get any corals for your tank yet?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back