Seahorse Mating Aggression

Mr. Mojo Rising

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 14, 2021
Messages
14,448
Reaction score
17,498
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for a month now, and I notice this behaviour has been getting more aggressive in the past few days. In the video, he now really clamps onto her and pins her down. He will follow her around the tank until she stops and then he'll clamp on. Is this normal? Anything I should do?

 
I've had them for a month now, and I notice this behaviour has been getting more aggressive in the past few days. In the video, he now really clamps onto her and pins her down. He will follow her around the tank until she stops and then he'll clamp on. Is this normal? Anything I should do?



I've had that issue with pot bellied seahorses - to the extent that I now only keep females. Males of that species are also prone to brood pouch gas issues (not so much with your tropical species) and so females are just a better choice for me. In your case, I think a tank divider would be in order.

Jay
 
I've had that issue with pot bellied seahorses - to the extent that I now only keep females. Males of that species are also prone to brood pouch gas issues (not so much with your tropical species) and so females are just a better choice for me. In your case, I think a tank divider would be in order.

Jay
Thank you. I'll divide the tank for week and see.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 3 4.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 18 26.9%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 28.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 1 1.5%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 4 6.0%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 6.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new