Seahorse Mating Aggression

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for a month now, and I notice this behaviour has been getting more aggressive in the past few days. In the video, he now really clamps onto her and pins her down. He will follow her around the tank until she stops and then he'll clamp on. Is this normal? Anything I should do?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for a month now, and I notice this behaviour has been getting more aggressive in the past few days. In the video, he now really clamps onto her and pins her down. He will follow her around the tank until she stops and then he'll clamp on. Is this normal? Anything I should do?

I've had that issue with pot bellied seahorses - to the extent that I now only keep females. Males of that species are also prone to brood pouch gas issues (not so much with your tropical species) and so females are just a better choice for me. In your case, I think a tank divider would be in order.

Jay

OP
OP
Mr. Mojo Rising

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had that issue with pot bellied seahorses - to the extent that I now only keep females. Males of that species are also prone to brood pouch gas issues (not so much with your tropical species) and so females are just a better choice for me. In your case, I think a tank divider would be in order.

Jay
Thank you. I'll divide the tank for week and see.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back