Seahorse question

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read lots different opinion on number of seahorses in a tank. So far I disagree with most post

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen over 14 in a bio cube at a LFS not sure if that's good or not
I have 10 horses in a 20gal tank and only had minimal problems which I corrected. Water is so crystal clear looks like not even there. I know I’ll get ugly feedback for this but I’m going on 2yrs raising seahorses

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think smaller set ups can be used but for the sake of easy maintenance and a margin for error the recommendations are there. I'd be curious to know your maintenance schedule and if those 10 are juvies or full grown.

MUSBFRANK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you or someone else has done something that goes against what's recommended through experience, research, or just plain trial and error doesn't mean it's ok or should be done by others, there's plenty who have failed more than succeeded in many scenarios in this hobby and others, the bottom line is what's best for the animal in any captive situation.

vonjankmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seahorses do you have in your tank? 10 Dwarves, no problem, 10 of a larger species like Ingen's and you're going to have problems eventually.

Have you had the 10 for all 2 years and have you had any losses in that time? I ask because I'll be honest I'm a bit incredulous about your claim of keeping 10 seahorses in a 20G tank without losses for 2 years. Even assuming you have a large sump and/or do water changes on an almost daily basis that is a seriously crowded tank and is not really ideal conditions for the little guys. (Again unless they've Dwarf Seahorses - Zosterae)

I've kept seahorses for over 10 years now and I've always had them with other tank inhabitants so I've never pushed the limit for stocking in a purely seahorse tank but I've had multiple horses live 6+ years so I'd like to think I have some level of expertise with them.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think smaller set ups can be used but for the sake of easy maintenance and a margin for error the recommendations are there. I'd be curious to know your maintenance schedule and if those 10 are juvies or full grown.
About half n half mostly males I have 2 tanks each 20 gallon and 10 seahorses in each one. I’m very anal about care lots of complete water changes. Going on 2 yrs

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because you or someone else has done something that goes against what's recommended through experience, research, or just plain trial and error doesn't mean it's ok or should be done by others, there's plenty who have failed more than succeeded in many scenarios in this hobby and others, the bottom line is what's best for the animal in any captive situation.
My horses are very happy and stress free

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of seahorses do you have in your tank? 10 Dwarves, no problem, 10 of a larger species like Ingen's and you're going to have problems eventually.

Have you had the 10 for all 2 years and have you had any losses in that time? I ask because I'll be honest I'm a bit incredulous about your claim of keeping 10 seahorses in a 20G tank without losses for 2 years. Even assuming you have a large sump and/or do water changes on an almost daily basis that is a seriously crowded tank and is not really ideal conditions for the little guys. (Again unless they've Dwarf Seahorses - Zosterae)

I've kept seahorses for over 10 years now and I've always had them with other tank inhabitants so I've never pushed the limit for stocking in a purely seahorse tank but I've had multiple horses live 6+ years so I'd like to think I have some level of expertise with them.
Truth be told I have had only 3 deaths and one water problem most of my guys r small and all from Eastern Atlantic off nj

vonjankmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Truth be told I have had only 3 deaths and one water problem most of my guys r small and all from Eastern Atlantic off nj

Are they all wild caught? If so they're probably Erectus as I believe they are the only species that lives that far north in the Atlantic. Dwarf seahorses are only as far north as Florida generally. Erectus is around 5-6 inches fully grown, kind of in the middle as far as seahorse size goes.

Did you have any problems getting them to eat frozen food? I prefer captive bred due to not having wanted to deal with getting them to eat froze and not having to deworm them.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they all wild caught? If so they're probably Erectus as I believe they are the only species that lives that far north in the Atlantic. Dwarf seahorses are only as far north as Florida generally. Erectus is around 5-6 inches fully grown, kind of in the middle as far as seahorse size goes.

Did you have any problems getting them to eat frozen food? I prefer captive bred due to not having wanted to deal with getting them to eat froze and not having to deworm them.
The first three days that I would put them in the tank they were more or less lethargic they would hang on the tree and just stay there always checking that the girls were moving and they were breathing just to make sure they were doing well anyway after three days had no problems at all with them excepting the frozen Brian shrimp I’ve been using that since the beginning and it seems to work well

vonjankmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you enrich the brine shrimp at all? Without enrichment they don't meet the nutrient requirements of seahorses. Most people use frozen Mysis shrimp for that reason, they're more nutritionally complete and I still use Selcon to enrich the mysis every once in a while for good health.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you enrich the brine shrimp at all? Without enrichment they don't meet the nutrient requirements of seahorses. Most people use frozen Mysis shrimp for that reason, they're more nutritionally complete and I still use Selcon to enrich the mysis every once in a while for good health.
Yes pet smart sells brine with mixes

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back