OP
OP
Annmarri

Annmarri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have kept seahorses for 5+ years! Welcome to forum! I also share the love of seahorses lol.

The way I thought of it before I got seahorses was that there are two general categories of seahorses - dwarf seahorses and normal sized seahorses. Normal sized seahorses including Erectus, Reidi, etc.

Dwarf seahorses are small, breed, easily, and can be kept in a species only nano sized aquarium (like 5 gallons). They have special requirements and need to be fed live freshly hatched brine shrimp everyday (over the course of a day freshly hatched brine shrimp loses its nutritional value as it absorbs the yolk). Personally I really enjoy keeping them and they breed like crazy but the feeding is a lot of work and they’re so small you kind of have to look for them even though I did see mine swim around a lot. I also have to get them a sitter when I leave town and have to direct them on how to hatch brine shrimp and it’s a bit of a pain.

I think a pair of Erectus seahorses are a good option if you want a hardy larger species. The minimum tank size for a pair of larger seahorses is 30 gallons. Larger species can eat frozen shrimp and I’ve noticed they’re pretty active swimming about. They can also handle a little bit of higher flow.

I got all my seahorses from Alyssa’s seahorses. I also got seahorse safe corals and stuff from her website. My newest pair are so healthy, and began eating frozen mysis shrimp the same day I put them in the tank. Not all seahorses will accept frozen food, but hers (except dwarves) do. I really recommend buying from her and one time I asked her a question and she answered the same day.

I love my seahorses they are so beautiful and fun to watch. Oh also some tips that helped me is:

- covered heater (seahorses do need lower temps though) in case they wrap their tail around it

- I put a piece of boat rope in my tank as a kind of natural lagoon looking hitch instead of the yellow chains people use but a lot of people use those! They also love hitching on macro algaes and the cord to my UV light lol.

- Dwarf seahorses I use a gentle sponge filter. My big seahorses I use a normal filter. I didn’t turn on high flow until after they got acclimated

- some people use a feeding station for the seahorses but I just pour in the shrimp near them and they go after it. For the dwarves I use a turkey bastar.
Wow so very helpful thank you for your response!

OP
OP
Annmarri

Annmarri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! There is a whole forum for seahorses that can be found here. They are very pretty! Best of luck to you and feel free to ask any questions that you can't find on here! The search bar makes things easy to find BTW. :)
Thank you will definitely check it out

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back