Seahorse

haigyfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello y’all just asking for some advice or tips regarding sea horses. I understand these creatures need pristine water conditions and so forth so I am starting my first saltwater tank 30 gallons. Eventually in a year or so I want to introduce a seahorse, I want to put fish in the tank now that will not cause problems down the road. Currently I have 2 chromis and a clownfish pair. Any ideas or considerations for a fish or 2 addition that would pair fine with seahorses in the near future?
thank you all comments are appreciated

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello y’all just asking for some advice or tips regarding sea horses. I understand these creatures need pristine water conditions and so forth so I am starting my first saltwater tank 30 gallons. Eventually in a year or so I want to introduce a seahorse, I want to put fish in the tank now that will not cause problems down the road. Currently I have 2 chromis and a clownfish pair. Any ideas or considerations for a fish or 2 addition that would pair fine with seahorses in the near future?
thank you all comments are appreciated
Just for clarification here, you're planning on keeping the seahorse, chromis, clownfish, and another fish or two in the same 30 gallon tank, correct?

Before getting into seahorse husbandry, I'd recommend reading through at least the following links (the "Seahorse/Pipefish" forum here on R2R has some other great stickies at the top that I'd recommend reading through too, but I'd suggest these as a bare minimum):

Some final thoughts from a recent, related post I made:
I’m definitely not a seahorse expert, so hopefully you’ll get some more experienced responses (read: here’s a bump) but a couple things come to mind for me:

First, with the tank being plumbed into your 300, what is the water temperature? It's generally recommended to keep seahorse tanks at 70-74F*, as they are prone to bacterial issues and the cooler temp drastically reduces the reproduction of pathogenic bacteria.

Second, clownfish are generally considered to poor to downright bad tankmates for seahorses**, so - peaceful or not - it may be a good idea to remove them (and anything else that may cause the problems for the seahorses - crabs, stinging corals or nems, etc.).

Third, I know a lot of different species can be enticed to eat using live feed, so you might want to try adding some live mysis, amphipods, brine shrimp, or - if the horses are big enough - even live ghost shrimp. Of course, you would want to gut-load these before adding them to the tank (i.e. you would want to feed them a bunch of phyto before adding them).

Fourth, I'm not sure how you're spot feeding, but the method I've seen recommended uses a turkey baster to basically just squeeze the mysis out in front of the seahorses face***.
Edit: the feeding link that was in my quote:
*** https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/keeping-seahorses-in-aquaria-5-feeding-your-ponies.310076/

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 41 36.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back