Seahorses in lagoon

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a yellow kuda be okay in an IM lagoon 25? I know that seahorses need the vertical space for their mating dance, but other than that yellow kuda are found in lagoons and stay towards the bottom in grass flats. Just was wondering if this tank would be okay. Just want 2 seahorses

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Paulie069 @footgal ??? i think a pair would be ok,but other opinions needed :)
Mmm good question,,, I also notice that my ponies hang more towards the bottom of my tank,, they do swim up and around during the day but not as much as you would think
How deep is your setup??

OP
OP
YoCamron

YoCamron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mmm good question,,, I also notice that my ponies hang more towards the bottom of my tank,, they do swim up and around during the day but not as much as you would think
How deep is your setup??
the lagoon is about 11.5 inches high. have another tank i can use that is also 25 gallons but is 28 inches high. i figured the lagoon would better replicate their natural habitat though

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wanting a pair of kuda to court you will need a deeper tank. They will need more vertical space. May I ask where are the kuda being purchased from?

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the lagoon is about 11.5 inches high. have another tank i can use that is also 25 gallons but is 28 inches high. i figured the lagoon would better replicate their natural habitat though
I’d go with the higher one just to be safe plus you’ll be able to do less water changes,, just my opinion I’m no professional but I do have luck with my ponies

Attachments

• B5347C4A-A503-4391-AE2E-2A6AD3247439.jpeg
    B5347C4A-A503-4391-AE2E-2A6AD3247439.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 62

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are wanting a pair of kuda to court you will need a deeper tank. They will need more vertical space. May I ask where are the kuda being purchased from?
Seahorses, even the various types of kuda, do not "NEED" a lot of vertical space. In fact, they will spend more time in the bottom half of the tank rather than the top half.
Having a deeper tank HELPS to facilitate egg transfer but it's not absolutely necessary. They always seem to find a way to do the transfer in spite of a lower depth.

Shorething

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes agreed! Vertical space would be "needed" for courting. If you are not interested in watching the courting ritual then a tank without extra vertical space is not necessary.
rayjay thank you for putting into words that more clearly state the idea.

rayjay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even in a shorter tank, they STILL do their courting, and, they STILL manage to produce fry.
My comes were in a low breeder tank and still produced fry.

Mixing lighting technologies: Do you use multiple types of lighting for your reef?

• I currently use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 6 60.0%
  • I have used multiple types of lighting for my reef in the past.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I haven’t used multiple types of lighting for my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I have no plans to use multiple types of lighting for my reef.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back