Seal repair or different tank?!

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are really two questions in this thread. I have a scaquarium -100 gallon. The front lower seal gave way in one small section. Would you risk the fix and what is the best way to go about it? Or, ( this is for all of those engineers out there) can I put a different, smaller tank on my current stand. I built my current stand for my 100 gallon, 48x20x24. Could I put a tank that is 36x18 on it if the corners aren’t over the internal frame. For reference I will post a pic of how my internal frame is built. TIA

06640FF0-FCF7-40AD-87AF-A83205B97FD6.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the smaller tank, would it be better to center it, or offset it to one side? I’m just unsure about resealing and don’t want to buy another tank at the moment.

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To seal the leak you will need to remove the glass panel and all the old silicon, then replace and reseal. Big job but can be done.

The safest way to use the old stand is to place a 3/4" piece of plywood over the top and center the new, smaller tank.

OP
OP
T

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the current set up - minus the water lol. The stand has a top on it but I just wasn’t sure if it was ok to put a tank on that wasn’t to the edges of the frame.

Attachments

• F758C785-A446-4D5A-94F9-E7FCB82D4D8B.jpeg
    F758C785-A446-4D5A-94F9-E7FCB82D4D8B.jpeg
    180.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DD88C03E-9208-49F8-B197-30C5EC027924.jpeg
    DD88C03E-9208-49F8-B197-30C5EC027924.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 69
OP
OP
T

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To seal the leak you will need to remove the glass panel and all the old silicon, then replace and reseal. Big job but can be done.

The safest way to use the old stand is to place a 3/4" piece of plywood over the top and center the new, smaller tank.
It was suggested that I could remove the small section as well as a couple inches on each side and silicone that?

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was suggested that I could remove the small section as well as a couple inches on each side and silicone that?

Sure you can. Just don't expect it to last very long.

The problem is that the seal that actually makes the tank watertight isn't the bead on the inside of the glass. It's the small amount that sits between the panes. There really isn't any good way to remove that without tearing the tank down, cleaning the surfaces of all traces of the old silicone and then reassembling the tank. It doesn't help that new silicone doesn't particularly like to adhere to old silicone, especially what's on the inside of a used aquarium encrusted with algae etc.

As for putting a smaller tank on the old (larger) stand - that's easy and will be just fine. In addition to the 3/4" plywood top, I'd suggest adding a 2x4 cross brace or two where the new tank will sit so that it does have the support it needs.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi,agree full reseal or none:(also add or move two center supports flush with top rim of stand:)

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never re-sealed a tank but from what I've read about it the prep work is time consuming but the overall process isn't hard. I also think for me personally if I would constantly regret going to a smaller tank.

If you do decide to go with a smaller tank I agree that you should add some supports under the edges of where the new tank will sit. If you built the stand adding a few more supports shouldn't be a big deal, and the wood to do it is cheap so I don't see any reason to not add it.

OP
OP
T

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good. Thanks for the advice! Adding the supports will be easy. I don’t think I’ll permanently go to a smaller tank but I have a brand new deep blue 57 that has just been hanging out. I figure I can set that up until I get up the energy to invest in either another tank of the same size or go bigger :)

OP
OP
T

Triinsept

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more question! If I post the tank on Craigslist, what is a fair asking price? I was thinking $200? Thoughts?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One more question! If I post the tank on Craigslist, what is a fair asking price? I was thinking $200? Thoughts?
on the deep blue?? or 100sca?

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i think as a leaker ,wish you the best,but honestly think :(lucky to get $100

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could maybe advertise it as a reptile enclosure and get a little for it, but as a water box it's value is pretty much zero.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on 3/4 plywood and use the smaller tank.

As for the reseal absolutely not on just resealing a small section of the tank. Old silicone and new silicone will not bond to each other. You have to do a full reseal or nothing.

That being said you can have success just removing and replacing all of the silicone inside the tank without pulling the panels apart. I've done it and seen it done many times. Obviously it's not as good as pulling the panels apart and redoing the whole job but it works.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could maybe advertise it as a reptile enclosure and get a little for it, but as a water box it's value is pretty much zero.
You’re gonna want to put more vertical support under the center if you’re putting a tank on that stand that isn’t sitting on the stand rim. Water is heavy. (I’m a civil engineer) those two small supports aren’t going to hold a tank even with plywood on it. Or if they do I wouldn’t trust them to hold it long term.

fishguy242

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You’re gonna want to put more vertical support under the center if you’re putting a tank on that stand that isn’t sitting on the stand rim. Water is heavy. (I’m a civil engineer) those two small supports aren’t going to hold a tank even with plywood on it. Or if they do I wouldn’t trust them to hold it long term.
the whole stand looks like glue lams ;)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 35.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 31.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 15 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%

Back