Sealing a ghost overflow gasket to a plywood backwall

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am filling my tank for the first time with the Ghost Overflow installed against the back of my tank, which is plywood. It is not perfectly flat and water is leaking into both holes that I drilled into the plywood. I was watching out for this, so it wasn't a complete surprise...but I'm not sure the best way to seal this. I have the weir removed and water level low enough to do whatever. Because of the imperfections on the backwall, I do not believe it is a gasket issue or making it tighter...I'm thinking of using vaseline between the gasket and the backwall to fill in any imperfections and create a seal.

Any other ideas? I guess I could just waterproof inside the holes and let it go through...it wasn't leaking out the back side gaskets.

Thanks,

J

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll catch helI for this but I silicone gaskets on pretty regularly if I expect them to be in service for extended, 5+ years, time. They still come off easy should the need arise. Obviously they cannot be reused but only a savage would reuse a gasket, o-ring, etc.

Gill the 3rd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll catch helI for this but I silicone gaskets on pretty regularly if I expect them to be in service for extended, 5+ years, time. They still come off easy should the need arise. Obviously they cannot be reused but only a savage would reuse a gasket, o-ring, etc.
I was just about to say, silicon would work perfect for this.

OP
OP
J

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. I went ahead and did this earlier this afternoon. Will be testing it tomorrow afternoon. Ordered more gaskets just in case. It's not an ideal solution, but then again...having a non-flat backwall is not ideal either. :)

OP
OP
J

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No leaks. Water is just about up to the weir teeth and the external box is dry. Thanks for the advice. We'll just keep this between us.

PXL_20230916_011441534.MP.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back