SeaSwirl Repair?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you either repaired your self or sent out for repair and what would your recommendation be? Mine stopped moving and I’m trying to decide what to do. Thanks for the help!

Finnaddict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to them about a year ago. Mine stopped as well. They said it was $100 to fix.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it apart and see what’s what. Been a long time since I had one, but I don’t recall it being very complicated. Maybe the motor went and you can source a drop in replacement.

newjack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i’ve had a few go bad over the years. I always send them back to sea swirl for repairs or replacement.
Sea swirl is a great company and they (i think it’s only one guy) stand behind their products.
food for thought, I had a 3/4 swirl last for over 10 years before going bad.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would for sure open it up. Nothing against seaswirl, I like them, they were the way to get nonlaminar flow back in the day, but still I bet its a small motor, some plastic gearing and some other bits. I bit most of the plastic components could be printed, I'm sure theres a cheap equivalent on ebay/ali for the motor assembly. If you decided thats too much work then send it into them, its not like its working currently.

OP
OP
fragit

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it apart and see what’s what. Been a long time since I had one, but I don’t recall it being very complicated. Maybe the motor went and you can source a drop in replacement.
Yeah I was gonna check it out, thanks for the encouragement.

i’ve had a few go bad over the years. I always send them back to sea swirl for repairs or replacement.
Sea swirl is a great company and they (i think it’s only one guy) stand behind their products.
food for thought, I had a 3/4 swirl last for over 10 years before going bad.
I’m hoping it’s just gummed you. Still 4 years without even being cleaned is pretty darn good.
I would for sure open it up. Nothing against seaswirl, I like them, they were the way to get nonlaminar flow back in the day, but still I bet its a small motor, some plastic gearing and some other bits. I bit most of the plastic components could be printed, I'm sure theres a cheap equivalent on ebay/ali for the motor assembly. If you decided thats too much work then send it into them, its not like its working currently.
That’s what I’m trying to decide, try to fix it myself or send it in.

csb123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open it up and see what’s broken. I replaced the motor in one years ago.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the sea swirl guy do both of mine it was worth it to me
he rebuilds everything inside at least that’s what he told me
People and money usage is always funny to me wont spend 100 dollars to get a 500 dollar product rebuilt to new and fixed right instead rather spend 50 dollars on a part not made for the sea swirl then your adapting it to the new motor and end up spending four hours on it it will never work the same just to save 50 dollars
Just boggles my mind

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think that is exactly what it is. A small low rotation motor and some gearing .... maybe even a plastic arm if memory serves.

kyleinpdx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the sea swirl guy do both of mine it was worth it to me
he rebuilds everything inside at least that’s what he told me
People and money usage is always funny to me wont spend 100 dollars to get a 500 dollar product rebuilt to new and fixed right instead rather spend 50 dollars on a part not made for the sea swirl then your adapting it to the new motor and end up spending four hours on it it will never work the same just to save 50 dollars
Just boggles my mind

Do you make your own water at home or buy premixed from the LFS? Same thing, after all is said and done you end up with water. Ever done your own oil change? A car is worth a lot more than a wave maker. Why should this be any different?

U

User1

View Badges
I had a 3/4" go bad years ago. It was the motor inside. I found one that had similar rpm and torque and that was it. Still have it today although that one is off line. I now run 2 x 1" and they work great. 100 bucks is a lot - I get it. Ask what it would be to DIY if you source the parts from him.

Jerry Barnes

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last one I fixed had RC servo in it as a motor. Bought a replacement at ServoCity.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back