mhan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1FA48973-7A61-431E-B51D-290468D0B543.jpeg
0D5DBC1F-B242-4CA2-8260-D14C3EFA6EE7.jpeg
I was walking along the beach in RI and found some purple seaweed, two types of very small snails, one larger round black snail, and these elongated quickly swimming crustaceans. Does anyone have strong feelings on whether these are reef safe?

OP
OP
mhan

mhan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve determined that they are two different varieties of isopods, possibly idotea balthica and/or asellota. I THINK they’re reef safe, as they’re listed as herbivores.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it's a crapshoot when you grab stuff at the beach and put it in a tropical Marine tank. I'm not sure it makes sence if you have a lot of money invested in coral, otherwise it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately there may be something that you can't see in there that could cause some issues.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is it's a crapshoot when you grab stuff at the beach and put it in a tropical Marine tank. I'm not sure it makes sence if you have a lot of money invested in coral, otherwise it's pretty interesting. Unfortunately there may be something that you can't see in there that could cause some issues.

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kgstei

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back