Sebae on the move, terracotta pot?

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Last time I was at my LFS I may have gotten ahead of myself and purchased another anemone with some credit we had.
I asked the LFS about care and was told the Sebae they had was easy care and would do well in my current set up.
She’s been in our tank for 3 weeks and we’ve had to move her back to the sand bed twice. She keeps moving up the rocks towards our bubble tip or sideways into our euphyllia garden. The last time we moved her we waited until she was climbing over our macro algae so that her foot was easy to detach and we dug her a deep hole in the substrate and set her in it. She was settled for about a week but now she’s moved again and is irritating our Hammers.

the tank is 3 years old established 48 gal ( + 14 gal sump) with mod led lighting. Primarily softies and euphyllia. The sand bed is not really deep enough ( I didn’t realize till after we had her) and it is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep.

I read that they need more feeding then my bubble tip so I’ve been trying to baste some mysis shrimp or coral gumbo into her mouth every other day. I did offer her a small cut of tilapia ( pencil eraser size ) but she was not interested.

Our porcelain crab also left out bubble tip and has taken up residence in the sebae this week.

please let me know what I can do to make her more comfortable. Should I make a part of the sandbed really deep for her? Would she potentially like a terracotta pot filled with sand? More food/light? Is my tank not ideal for this anemone and should I return it?
Or do I just need to come to terms with having no control over these critters? Thank you!

1E98D348-5F95-4CB0-9E1F-E3C195A1003D.jpeg 08294914-3BCE-42BE-B4A0-021D859B7338.jpeg 4ED44E1E-B7DA-4E40-9048-4B87FDCF3687.jpeg

jamie1210

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
Last time I was at my LFS I may have gotten ahead of myself and purchased another anemone with some credit we had.
I asked the LFS about care and was told the Sebae they had was easy care and would do well in my current set up.
She’s been in our tank for 3 weeks and we’ve had to move her back to the sand bed twice. She keeps moving up the rocks towards our bubble tip or sideways into our euphyllia garden. The last time we moved her we waited until she was climbing over our macro algae so that her foot was easy to detach and we dug her a deep hole in the substrate and set her in it. She was settled for about a week but now she’s moved again and is irritating our Hammers.

the tank is 3 years old established 48 gal ( + 14 gal sump) with mod led lighting. Primarily softies and euphyllia. The sand bed is not really deep enough ( I didn’t realize till after we had her) and it is about 2 1/2 to 3 inches deep.

I read that they need more feeding then my bubble tip so I’ve been trying to baste some mysis shrimp or coral gumbo into her mouth every other day. I did offer her a small cut of tilapia ( pencil eraser size ) but she was not interested.

Our porcelain crab also left out bubble tip and has taken up residence in the sebae this week.

please let me know what I can do to make her more comfortable. Should I make a part of the sandbed really deep for her? Would she potentially like a terracotta pot filled with sand? More food/light? Is my tank not ideal for this anemone and should I return it?
Or do I just need to come to terms with having no control over these critters? Thank you!

1E98D348-5F95-4CB0-9E1F-E3C195A1003D.jpeg 08294914-3BCE-42BE-B4A0-021D859B7338.jpeg 4ED44E1E-B7DA-4E40-9048-4B87FDCF3687.jpeg

That's a very healthy H. crispa. They call many types of anemones "sebae", many with totally different care requirements. H. crispa belong on the rock, not on the sand.

OP
OP
Afkomjorgen

Afkomjorgen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a very healthy H. crispa. They call many types of anemones "sebae", many with totally different care requirements. H. crispa belong on the rock, not on the sand.
Thank you so much for ID! I’ve been able to do some more thorough research.
I’ll try a water change and see if I can’t obtain some brighter lights.

Do you foresee any issues with the bubble tip? First time she moved she was bee-lining for it. Do Anemone fight?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 31.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%

Back