Second Apex unit failure in about a year. Unit 3 on it's way. What is going on here?

OP
OP
G

Gut Pile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So Apex number 3 seems to have sd card corruption. Was fine out of box. I did the most recent firmware update prior the restart and had cloned the card prior - no issues. So either these cards are duds to begin with or could be some other firmware issue eventually corrupting them. They didn’t even bother talking to me or taking a cc#. A new apex and eb32 appear to be on the way. Going to give them a thumbs up for the support but i’d rather not be doing this every few weeks. Local lfs guy has like 40 of these in service w no failures and thinks im smoking crack when i mentioned this.

OP
OP
G

Gut Pile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that is weird. They didn't send me a new apex. When I got #3 they sent me an EB32 as well. Today I got the package - they just sent me back the same EB32 from before. Which is fine. I never had an issue with the energy bar. So guess I need to true up with them at some point. Now I have two of these. Guess redundancy can't hurt.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Well that is weird. They didn't send me a new apex. When I got #3 they sent me an EB32 as well. Today I got the package - they just sent me back the same EB32 from before. Which is fine. I never had an issue with the energy bar. So guess I need to true up with them at some point. Now I have two of these. Guess redundancy can't hurt.
Be careful what you plug into these units as i understand they are not true plugs but capacitors which can blow when overloaded. There is a new board that handles better out with the later EB832 units called meanWell versus the old capacitor board.

OP
OP
G

Gut Pile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be careful what you plug into these units as i understand they are not true plugs but capacitors which can blow when overloaded. There is a new board that handles better out with the later EB832 units called meanWell versus the old capacitor board.
My setup is pretty safe. I've since put it behind a sinewav UPS just for the **** of it. Not that I expect much battery life from it but just to prevent those stupid 5 minute outages. Whole house generator is coming later this year.

Running
2x MP40
1 350W heater
1 150W heater
1 current usa eflux return pump (3170GPH model)
1 simplicity dc skimmer (240)
2 neptune skys
Assortment of other neptune crap on aquabus including Trident,ATK, AFS and refugium light. If that could kill it then I should prob throw it in the trash at this point.

OP
OP
G

Gut Pile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SD back up is good. Have it up on a known good card. Since i have what I consider a gold copy of this thing I'm going to leave Neptune support alone. At this point it's pretty obvious where the problem is and I'm sure they are busy as hell with other customers. Hopefully this stays solid now.

MrPike

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have about 35 apexes in use for various customers. One fails about every month, and recently it’s been way more common with new ones. Have some older EL’s with no issues, but since the A3, their shoddy hardware appears to be even worse.

Shame, because it’s a great product when it works.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I only have a limited experience with the new A3s, they seem to be really flaky as a whole. My own A2 and two friends A2s are are still working great 1-2+ years on.

OctaviusBrine

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel your pain I had pro bad out of the box. Then a dose bad out of the box. My trident I think is going bad now as well. For what these things cost it’s kinda ridiculous. To top it off their service is meh. All less than a year old.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back