Second Floor Sump Pump

marcmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on pump selection/plumbing configuration. I am thinking about moving the sump into my basement but I am fairly confident that my COR20 is not going to do the job. I am looking for a minimum of 400 GPH with a guestimated head of 20FT (includes height and elbows etc). If I could, I would like to keep the pump internal but other than the Abyzz (not in the budget,) I cannot find anything I would feel confident would work. So here are my questions:
1. If anyone has a setup similar, what is your configuration? Would you change anything?
2. Could I run more than one COR in a series to overcome the head?
3. Is there a particular internal pump you know of other than the Abyzz that would do the job.
4. if I have to go external what pump would you recommend- Reeflo, Iwaki, Other?

Any advice is welcome.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I am looking for some advice on pump selection/plumbing configuration. I am thinking about moving the sump into my basement but I am fairly confident that my COR20 is not going to do the job. I am looking for a minimum of 400 GPH with a guestimated head of 20FT (includes height and elbows etc). If I could, I would like to keep the pump internal but other than the Abyzz (not in the budget,) I cannot find anything I would feel confident would work. So here are my questions:
1. If anyone has a setup similar, what is your configuration? Would you change anything?
2. Could I run more than one COR in a series to overcome the head?
3. Is there a particular internal pump you know of other than the Abyzz that would do the job.
4. if I have to go external what pump would you recommend- Reeflo, Iwaki, Other?

Any advice is welcome.
Gen-x if they still make them. They come in high head models.but it is external. I have a sicce sdc 9.0.that only is rated at 23'. I have about 360gph @14' running 65%
Are you sure 20' head?

jdiefenbaugh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue line, Iwaki, Pan World or Gen X. All external, loud energy hogs, but they will work. I ran a 450 remotely that had over 40' total PVC run, and used an iwaki 100. Make sure you install a check valve, or reverse check valve, it's a lot of water back siphoning into your sump when it shuts down.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are going to have to go with External for that lift. Any internal pump, that will do that lift, is going to put a lot of heat into the water.

OP
OP
marcmen

marcmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue line, Iwaki, Pan World or Gen X. All external, loud energy hogs, but they will work. I ran a 450 remotely that had over 40' total PVC run, and used an iwaki 100. Make sure you install a check valve, or reverse check valve, it's a lot of water back siphoning into your sump when it shuts down.
thanks for the advice

OP
OP
marcmen

marcmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Edits^^
I'm on the basement floor, 10 ft to the next level + 4 feet to get over the ridge of the tank about 14 ft head.
I figure the verticle lift is about the same as yours but I added 1ft per 90 and a half for each 45

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my return I use a braided hose up until the tank and then I have (3) 90s. 1 to go over the glass (1) to point down, and the other one points out into the water, then a few segments of loc Line.
So figure the same head. If I crank it up I can get more gph. How much more? Idk.
But, 360 gph is really close to where you want to be.
My tank is directly above my sump and I plumbed my pump external. Just for the reasons of heat and my pump stays cool in the basement.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used two Current USA 6011 pumps for a few years for my remote basement sump. 25 feet total run including a 10 foot rise. They worked great and never gave me any problems.

OP
OP
marcmen

marcmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On my return I use a braided hose up until the tank and then I have (3) 90s. 1 to go over the glass (1) to point down, and the other one points out into the water, then a few segments of loc Line.
So figure the same head. If I crank it up I can get more gph. How much more? Idk.
But, 360 gph is really close to where you want to be.
My tank is directly above my sump and I plumbed my pump external. Just for the reasons of heat and my pump stays cool in the basement.
Thanks for this. maybe I was overthinking this. I guess I can give it a shot with my COR to see how it performs and swap it out if I need to. appreciate the feedback.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PanWorld, Blueline or Iwaki. Size them right and they won't use too much wattage and they crush head pressure like it is their job.

Ultra Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m using a Panworld for my basement sump. It’s very reliable, especially compared to the old Reeflo’s I used to run. Unless you want to spend big money on an Abyzz or similar it’s going to have to be a AC external. Mine is using about 230w.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t happen to live in Brooklin Neighborhood in Charles County, MD? I have a pump, that was run for a week. Too noisy for the wife, and moved too much water.

OP
OP
marcmen

marcmen

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You wouldn’t happen to live in Brooklin Neighborhood in Charles County, MD? I have a pump, that was run for a week. Too noisy for the wife, and moved too much water.
No I don't - I am in Brooklin Ontario - just outside of Toronto

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back