Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi @Randy Holmes-Farley. I'm using this recipe with significantly more concentrated NaOH solution. I have the NaOH solution stored in a Brute trash can which is then placed in a larger trash can that's used as a secondary container. I deliver the NaOH solution to my aquarium using a Neptune DOS pump via polyethylene RO tubing. I'm not sure what the tubing is within the DOS pump head (maybe neoprene?). Do you see any incompatibility concerns with what I'm doing? Specifically regarding these materials being able to hold up against a concentrated strong base solution? Thank you very much for your help.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ReefStache

Tft12

View Badges
Reaction score
As a follow up to my question, I know polyethylene and neoprene are generally resistant to NaOH, but I wanted to confirm that I’m not missing something with my particular products.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Hey @Randy Holmes-Farley not to derail this thread but a couple quick questions with NaOH. I want to make up a small batch of saturated solution for injecting aiptasia. I would assume I would only need 1-2mL (more likely under 1mL at a time).

1. If I make up say 10-30mLs of solution how much solid would you recommend adding (or should I just mix until no more dissolves visually, I will add powder to the liquid not the reverse)?
2. I'm assuming polypropylene and polyethylene will still be okay for a container for this?
3. If I use 1-2mLs at a time I'm assuming this would be okay and not overly spike pH in a 60 gallon aquarium correct?

LuisPerez711

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I first want to say thank you for all the work you do for the hobby. It's really great that people dedicate their own time and effort to support and grow something they like.

I came across this thread at the right time because I was approaching my daily dosing capacity with my Kalk solution. I was planning to continue dosing kalk while supplementing for Alk but decided to just do the 2/3 part recipe instead.

Somewhere in this thread it's stated that the solution is 46 times more potent than the Kalk solution we all use, so I started my dosing there. I was dosing 120ml of Kalk an hour with a Ph range of 8.1 to 8.4. I started dosing the 2/3 part at 2.5ml an hour but I have since adjusted it to 1.5ml an hour due to my Alk rising above the levels I wanted. My Ph has stabilized at a low of 7.95 to 8.25.

Am I doing something wrong? Am I using the incorrect 2 part recipe? The 2/3 part should have a higher Ph affect but I am not seeing that. Any insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
Avast

WHAT DOES THE TERM "GOOD WATER QUALITY" MEAN TO YOU?

• Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by consumer level water tests

Votes: 129 44.8%
  • Your aquarium water is in acceptable ranges measured by ICP type testing

Votes: 46 16.0%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how your corals are growing and look

Votes: 175 60.8%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how little nuisance algae is growing

Votes: 53 18.4%
  • Your aquarium water is good based on how it looks to you

Votes: 44 15.3%
  • Other (please explain in the thread)

Votes: 6 2.1%
Cultivated Reef