Second New DIY Two Part Recipe with Higher pH Boost

ohlero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I correct when thinking all I have to do for alk is replace my soda ash (baked baking soda) with sodium hydroxide and I can keep my calcium part the same? I'm currently using the calcium from the brs 2part with baked baking soda for my alk. I can't dose enough kalk to keep my pH up.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Hello I have a quick question I'm considering running a calcium reactor and I'm at a current ph of 8.0- 8.1 and worried about ph drop. I was wondering if I can just dose the alk part alone mostly for the PH benefits and have my calrx do the rest of the alk, ca and mg? I was considering a kalk reactor but I have a doser already and it would save me some money going this route.

I'm currently dosing 100ml of aquaforest component 123 a day.

The calrx setup will be a as follows

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So am I correct when thinking all I have to do for alk is replace my soda ash (baked baking soda) with sodium hydroxide and I can keep my calcium part the same? I'm currently using the calcium from the brs 2part with baked baking soda for my alk. I can't dose enough kalk to keep my pH up.

Yes.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley Hello I have a quick question I'm considering running a calcium reactor and I'm at a current ph of 8.0- 8.1 and worried about ph drop. I was wondering if I can just dose the alk part alone mostly for the PH benefits and have my calrx do the rest of the alk, ca and mg? I was considering a kalk reactor but I have a doser already and it would save me some money going this route.

I'm currently dosing 100ml of aquaforest component 123 a day.

The calrx setup will be a as follows

No.

The reactor doses a fixed ratio of alk per calcium. There's no way to add a bunch of alk only onto the reactor additions without alk rising relative to calcium.

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have missed it in this long thread but what advantage does sodium hydroxide give you over sodium carbonate at elevating/maintaining alk?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must have missed it in this long thread but what advantage does sodium hydroxide give you over sodium carbonate at elevating/maintaining alk?

Same alk and higher pH

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No.

The reactor doses a fixed ratio of alk per calcium. There's no way to add a bunch of alk only onto the reactor additions without alk rising relative to calcium.
so how would I raise ph if my reactor drops it to low? I really don't want to use kalk..

Last edited:

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how would I raise ph in my reactor drops it to low? I really don't want to use kalk.. I read earlier in this thread that someone asked if they can use this with their carx in place of kalk but I didn't understand their explanation on how they were implementing it

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so how would I raise ph if my reactor drops it to low? I really don't want to use kalk..

Fresher air in the room, and/or part of the calcium AND alk delivered with this method. You need to use both if you use this method.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use my current aquaforest calcium and your alk hi ph recipe? right now im using the dosetroic which talks to the alkatroic to dose equal parts per alk, ca and mg. would it basically do the same for this alk and ca?

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of curious if anyone using this has figured out a long (or semi long) term container to use?

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m dosing 100 mil of aquaforest component 123 right now , does this mean if I put my cal RX online and use your 2 part does this mean I world do 50 ml of your cal and alk and 50 ml a min with the calcium reactor ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I use my current aquaforest calcium and your alk hi ph recipe? right now im using the dosetroic which talks to the alkatroic to dose equal parts per alk, ca and mg. would it basically do the same for this alk and ca?

I do not know the aquaforest calcium concentration to advise on relative amounts,.

You could use it, and that will provide some of the benefits of a two part in terms of other ions, but not all of them.

It would make more sense to use DIY calcium chloride, the hydroxide recipe, and Balling Part C, IMO.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I’m dosing 100 mil of aquaforest component 123 right now , does this mean if I put my cal RX online and use your 2 part does this mean I world do 50 ml of your cal and alk and 50 ml a min with the calcium reactor ?

No likely, but I suppose it might coincidentally be the same calcium concentration as the calcium recipe that goes along with the hydroxide given in this thread.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of curious if anyone using this has figured out a long (or semi long) term container to use?

Most containers are OK except polycarbonate. Polypropylene and polyethylene are fine.

richiero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know the aquaforest calcium concentration to advise on relative amounts,.

You could use it, and that will provide some of the benefits of a two part in terms of other ions, but not all of them.

It would make more sense to use DIY calcium chloride, the hydroxide recipe, and Balling Part C, IMO.
I still have to use balling part C with a calcium reactor ? If I’m using your 2 part and a calrx and I’m currently dosing 100 Ml of alk and cal what amount would I dose from the 2 part and the calrx is it 50ml from 2 part and 50 ml from the carx ?

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still have to use balling part C with a calcium reactor ? If I’m using your 2 part and a calrx and I’m currently dosing 100 Ml of alk and cal what amount would I dose from the 2 part and the calrx is it 50ml from 2 part and 50 ml from the carx ?

No, I'm talking about when using sodium hydroxide and calcium chloride. If you use those, then it is desirable to maintain magnesium, potassium, sulfate, etc.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 52 43.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 42 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back