Second thread first introduction.

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greetings, name is AJ. I just realized I didn't properly introduce myself in this section. I'm going to build my first saltwater setup soon. I would like to keep corals and fish. This may seem erratic as I have a two and five year old in one of each ear... Lol

My largest tank was a fresh water and was 20g. I may have had a larger tank when I lived in Italy but that was a long time ago and many beers later I don't remember the size. I left it there as I didn't think it would survive the trip to Guam.

When I moved back to the States I bought the 20g and had decent success but deployments didn't allow for me to be the sole keeper of the tank and it didn't really work too well. My then gf sand now wife didn't want me to get a saltwater because she had zero interest in taking care of one.

I am now retired and will no longer be taking long trips overseas so I bought a tank. I found a cracked, brand new 210g reef ready tank at my LFS for $99 so I took the plunge. Plan is to remove the top trim and front glass to replace the broken piece. I'm thinking since most likely the plastic trim is going to break when removed I'll have two options to replace it. One is cheap and simple, trim some wood to go around (routing out 1x's to neatly fit) and the other is more in-depth, welding aluminum strips together to go around the outside and upper edge, probably a few mm's thick.

Currently the tank is in the bed of my truck covered with a cheap tarp, hopefully a little rain water won't hurt. I would think it won't since it is an aquarium and once set up it will be cycled. We haven't bought our house yet and there's no room at the in-laws house for me to store it.

I'm looking forward to sharing my experience on here as well as learning from others on here. This will be my first attack at a saltwater as well as glass replacement.

Attached is a pic from when I picked it up, thankfully we own an Excursion since my truck is a lowered sport truck and wouldn't have done well hauling the tank over the rough road here in Arkansas.

I'm glad to be a part of this forum and super excited to get this started. I've been reading every night and watching YouTube trying to learn before I begin. I'll probably stay buying things here and there to ease the big lump sum money drop normally required.
IMG_20180210_115901499_HDR.jpg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R

You are correct, in that the rather difficult process of removing the plastic frame will most likely ruin it....cracked and broken pieces.

The other option is to check with your LFS or tank manufacturer.....you can purchase a new plastic frame. These are simply siliconed in place.

One other option is Euro-Bracing.....pieces of glass siliconed around the upper edge, including cross bracing.

Please start a Member's Tank thread and update with the progress you're making in fixing this tank.

Again, welcome.

OP
OP
U

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, welcome to R2R

You are correct, in that the rather difficult process of removing the plastic frame will most likely ruin it....cracked and broken pieces.

The other option is to check with your LFS or tank manufacturer.....you can purchase a new plastic frame. These are simply siliconed in place.

One other option is Euro-Bracing.....pieces of glass siliconed around the upper edge, including cross bracing.

Please start a Member's Tank thread and update with the progress you're making in fixing this tank.

Again, welcome.
Funny enough I didn't think of ordering a new piece. Lol. Guess my customize everything inner self got to scheming on how much better an aluminum top trim would look. Thanks for the tip.
I'll definitely start a thread once I begin the process, right now it's in the bed of my truck tarped getting rained on. Still need a house to put it in.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R... and welcome to the retired military life... both are great!

Looks like you have quite a task ahead of thou with the tank fix and build out. Definitely start a tank building thread in the member's tank section.

OP
OP
U

U_ser_ID

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
welcome to R2R... and welcome to the retired military life... both are great!

Looks like you have quite a task ahead of thou with the tank fix and build out. Definitely start a tank building thread in the member's tank section.
I'm enjoying both very much! Thanks

GWHouston

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R...first thank you for your service. Like you, I came here to learn for my first reefer, 120 reef ready. Watch the selling forum to save yourself a chunk of change. I've got half my start up off there. Paypal is your friend.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back