Seeding a new tank from a tank with pests?

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a way to safely seed a new tank with beneficial bacteria from an established tank with known pests? If not, are there methods to minimize the risk of transmission?

I realize this is a broad question, but I'm not thinking about fish disease/parasites, more things like bubble algae, aiptasia, vermetid snails, etc.

What sort of media could I use to populate with the beneficial bacteria, but not the pests? For example, I've seen vermetids grow on my marine pure bio balls in my filter chamber. I've heard they even grown in the plumbing. I feel like there's no way to be confident I'm not getting pests. If that's the answer so be it, but I didn't want to assume it's impossible without asking more experienced readers.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe take a tiny piece of rock or sand or biomedia, keep it in separate container (like a gallon bucket) and make a mini home for it and wait to see if anything pops up after multiple weeks? Basically you would make a coral QT but for media/rock/sand or whatever you are using

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the pest are valonia, aiptasia, and/or vermetids, I honestly wouldn’t worry about it too much. I would inspect and clean any rock before putting in my tank, but IMO those are all manageable and the benefit of diverse bacteria and microfauna is well worth it. I know some will disagree but, when I started reefing real live rock was all we used, so I don’t really bat an eyelash at pests such as those.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is there a way to safely seed a new tank with beneficial bacteria from an established tank with known pests? If not, are there methods to minimize the risk of transmission?

I realize this is a broad question, but I'm not thinking about fish disease/parasites, more things like bubble algae, aiptasia, vermetid snails, etc.

What sort of media could I use to populate with the beneficial bacteria, but not the pests? For example, I've seen vermetids grow on my marine pure bio balls in my filter chamber. I've heard they even grown in the plumbing. I feel like there's no way to be confident I'm not getting pests. If that's the answer so be it, but I didn't want to assume it's impossible without asking more experienced readers.
Yes - its very simple (depending on what the pests you're talking about)

With the following 'caveats'

1. Anything. new you bring in can bring 'pests'
2. They can grow all over
3. So - you can never be sure - nor should you be 'paranoid' imho.

But to answer your questions. Take - whatever you want to transfer (i.e. sand/rock, etc) - keep it in a tank for 76 days (will get rid of most parasites) - with light - a cheap HOB filter, feed a little ammonia - or fish food - and you're good to go. But - IMHO also thats being 'paranoid'. Just take the stuff from tank A to tank B (unless you're worried about parasites) - and use it. OR - just get some bottled bacteria.

Sorry - I'm being blunt. It doesnt take much to get nitrifying bacteria to grow on anything.

OP
OP
muzikalmatt

muzikalmatt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback @MnFish1 ! I'm leaning towards not being so paranoid about it especially given the fact that it's only vermetid snails that I'm worried about. While unsightly, they haven't been an actual problem in my current tank and I think the benefits of the established beneficial bacteria outweighs my worry about the potential pests.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the feedback @MnFish1 ! I'm leaning towards not being so paranoid about it especially given the fact that it's only vermetid snails that I'm worried about. While unsightly, they haven't been an actual problem in my current tank and I think the benefits of the established beneficial bacteria outweighs my worry about the potential pests.
you're welcome - just watch for scratches

Ckane2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just had to deal with this exact problem. I took my seachem matrix bio media from old tank (which had vermetids + aiptasia + bubble algae), inspected it closely and picked a couple clean pieces to seed new tank. I scrubbed gently with tooth brush and rinsed in clean water. I’m hoping any pests would’ve been seen, or scrubbed off, and beneficial bacteria would still be present in the pores.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back